Rochester State of the Lake Meeting

Have a good safe trip Mark....this wind is something else here.

Edited by Sk8man

Well plans may change. We have no power and 2/3 of Webster is out also. They are still assessing and no timetable. Now I have to keep a generator going. This is changing my plans for the week and not sure I'll make it.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

8 hours ago, rdebadts said:

Do you suppose they knew about this, even before the king cuts were finalized???? I sure hope not

The Fishin' Physician Assistant
Fishsodusbay.com

They didnt but even if they did the King cuts would still be happening.

I agree..... finally some good collaberation between the DEC and the Canadians. Very interesting data. I especially like the tagging study done on Chinooks. Seems like the Canadians really have their stuff together.
There has been some talk about the Steelhead numbers.... a guy brought up the effects of a fish being stressed from hooked multiple times in a stream and the ability to reproduce.... very interesting.....
The good news is that it appears with the warmer winter last year, the alewives seemed to do a little better. We are still missing 2 year classes of them, but the biologist seemed optimistic that the numbers would go up again this year. One can only hope....

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I could be wrong but Im starting to believe that the "failures" in Lake Michigan are due to the fact that the state governments do not work together. I really like to see the collaboration of the us and canada on everything. We are now seeing the USGS, NYSDEC, NY Sea Grant, OMNR all working together. 

50 minutes ago, Legacy said:

I could be wrong but Im starting to believe that the "failures" in Lake Michigan are due to the fact that the state governments do not work together. I really like to see the collaboration of the us and canada on everything. We are now seeing the USGS, NYSDEC, NY Sea Grant, OMNR all working together. 

That is truly encouraging:yes:

There is some really awesome collaboration. I also liked to hear both omrnf and our dec stress the importance of kings specifically. I am optimistic about this year's class of alewife, given the warm summer and mild winter

Fishsodusbay.com

The state of Minnesota has set a "catch and release" system for walleyes this year. North America's premier walleye lake, Mille Lacs,  is now dominated by Bass Fishermen with their catch and release efforts and the catch and eat walleye fishermen are shut out of their fish now.  A balanced harvest is the need for all waters and we need to be careful in our stocking choices. Money generated should not be the deciding factor for stocking numbers each year.

21 hours ago, rdebadts said:

There is some really awesome collaboration. I also liked to hear both omrnf and our dec stress the importance of kings specifically. I am optimistic about this year's class of alewife, given the warm summer and mild winter

Fishsodusbay.com

It is somewhat discouraging to read something like this (stress the importance of kings specifically) after attending the Summer meeting in Greece that was attended by maybe 10 people and specifically  detailed the alewife situation, and after seeing the effort NYSDEC has put in to get this information, and the Fish Community Objectives, out to the general public.  DEC and OMNR are only responding to what was generated  a few years back with input from stakeholders at the annual State of the Lake Meetings.  If you have not read this document, please do so so that you understand what guides policy out on the Lake.  This will also come up for discussion again in a few years, as it is done on a 10 year cycle.

http://www.glfc.org/lakecom/loc/LO-FCO-2013-Final.pdf.

It is also discouraging to read all the doubters and naysayers who do not trust the science.  The basic logic is that if you drop a net on a transect repeatedly over time you get a representation of the relative density of the alewife. Many drops on multiple transects give a greater sense of relative abundance.  If there are huge numbers of Alewife, you catch should be higher, if less, lower.  You also get to look at condition and size as a measure of health of each year class.  What they found after the two bad winters was a hole where the numbers associated with two year classes were extremely low.  This does not say there are no fish in those year classes, so a school could get entrapped in an intake or you could hit a bunch of predators that just chowed on a school, but in relation to a "full" lake, there are a lot less.   Or we could put more predators in, but understand that the risk then might be a complete collapse in the long run.  Also, if we are going to ignore the science, we could change the management and just stock fish without any concern for the word " trophy", and get rid of a lot of this monitoring and save a lot of money, as Andy Todd pointed out last summer.  If you missed the meeting last summer, or the print materials that went out with it, please read http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/107705.html  

We need to mix science with common sense. I've, been saying for many years now, the internet has contributed to fish populations on soft water or hard water with information being exchanged like never before.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters