Boat checklist

Ok guys I'd like to know your preseason checklists. My first year owning a boat and just looking for the maintenance preseason routines some of you veterans have. I know what I would check on my dirtbike but boat I'm pretty clueless. I did have it professionally winterized at the marina. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Make sure bilge pumps work. Check check or replace water pump for the engine cooling system. Grease everything check bilge pump lines mice love anything small they can climb into. Check replace oil in motor and lower end unit. Anything you would check on any vehicle that has sat for 4 or 5 months but pay extra attention. Alot easier to get help on the side of the road than out on a lake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't just check that the bilge pump runs, make sure it pumps!  A few years ago, I added a second pump just to be safe. This time i ran water in the bilge from the garden hose. The new pump worked fine, the old pump hose had rubbed against one of the outboard mounting bolts and ripped a big hole in the back of the hose that was not visible during inspection. The water just splashed all over the bilge area... not a drop left the boat. I shudder when I think what would have happened out deep if I needed to get water out of the hull...

Here's a bit of good reading...

http://www.docksidereports.com/small_boat_safety_at_sea.htm

Edited by J.D.

Yes there is a expiration date on your flares. I would also check your boat lights, running and anchor. If you have fuses some times the metal connections on them lose contact with the end plate clips so the lights don't work. Usually you can just take them out and turn them a bit and reinstall. Doesn't hurt to have a spare bulb and fuse on board. No tears or rips in your life preservers , charge up the batteries and you should be good to go. Of course all of this is after checking  your fishing lines for nicks , wear and tear ,drags working ,spoons-tackle box all in order and stocked like your cooler along with your fishing license being current.

Don't just check that the bilge pump runs, make sure it pumps!  A few years ago, I added a second pump just to be safe. This time i ran water in the bilge from the garden hose. The new pump worked fine, the old pump hose had rubbed against one of the outboard mounting bolts and ripped a big hole in the back of the hose that was not visible during inspection. The water just splashed all over the bilge area... not a drop left the boat. I shudder when I think what would have happened out deep if I needed to get water out of the hull...

Here's a bit of good reading...
http://www.docksidereports.com/small_boat_safety_at_sea.htm

So just run hose with some water into bottom of hull and pump out or is there a better way? Thanks will read that

If you have not, I can recommend a Boaters Safety Course, especially if you're this new to boating, understanding the rules of the road on the water plays a big roll in safety on the water. Very much worth a few hours of your time.

Nick

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

If you have not, I can recommend a Boaters Safety Course, especially if you're this new to boating, understanding the rules of the road on the water plays a big roll in safety on the water. Very much worth a few hours of your time.

Nick

Im all ears I found one online that takes a few hrs and apparently adds it to your licence but by all means please let me know. Thanks

Thank you. Now what about trailer. Just pump some grease into the bearing Buddy's and call it good?

If it's been awhile, or the boat is new to you and you trailer often and sometimes a far distance, I would take the hubs of and inspect the bearings. Repack by hand and reinstall it buy new, repack by hand and install. The last thing you want is a blown bearing at 60 mph, trust me. I had a horrible experience last year after just pumping some grease into the bearing buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would suggest one with your local county sheriff office. Usually do them from March to May, I believe

I'll have to look into it. The one online looks pretty thorough but I'll have to see what they 9ffer too.

If it's been awhile, or the boat is new to you and you trailer often and sometimes a far distance, I would take the hubs of and inspect the bearings. Repack by hand and reinstall it buy new, repack by hand and install. The last thing you want is a blown bearing at 60 mph, trust me. I had a horrible experience last year after just pumping some grease into the bearing buddies.

Happened to me last year tire fell off trailer 2 miles from boat launch. I put 2 brand new hub on last year. Still pull out and manually repack?

Happened to me last year tire fell off trailer 2 miles from boat launch. I put 2 brand new hub on last year. Still pull out and manually repack?

Depends how far your trailering. I drive 5-6 hrs away to camp and fish. Before I go, I will be checking the bearings

If it is an I/O check your bellows for cracks, dry rot,& holes.  Water comes in those 4" holes pretty dam fast.  Always check that the back plug is in  before putting boat in water.  If you trailer it check & double check before moving; tie downs on, safety chain, antenna & rods down, trailer lights working, kick the tires, lock the hitch.

Edited by lineman49

If you have a live well that takes in water from a pump check the lines and have a spare plug in case they become compromised.Sometimes they hold water after draining your boat in the fall and freeze over the winter and split. Found that one out the hard way a few years ago opening night of Walleye.10 minutes into fishing my deck was covered in water. If I didn't have a spare plug boat would have sank.

What type of motor and outdrive do you have?

One thing that people forget with Mercruisers is to check is to make sure the bolts are tight where the gimble ring grabs onto the steering arm pin.  You let that wear out and its new gimble ring time and you have to either cut holes in the side of your transom ring or pull the motor out to replace it.