Boat checklist

Also, make sure there is new oil in your outdrive.  Often people dont replace it right away when winterizing (they just check to see there isnt water in it) because it usually already cold out and the oil and new oil is like mayonnaise in cold temps. 

The bearing buddys only get grease if you can not push in the plate the grease fitting is mounted on making it move.  Too much grease and you will  push out the seal on the inside of the bearing assembly.  Do not use the electric powered grease guns, or  carefully use them.  When grease is added it pushes on the outside the plate(piston like) that holds the grease fitting, then you can push on it and it will move.  If you add to much grease it(piston/plate) will rest against the retaining spring and invert the seal causing it to leak.  Hope I explained this clearly.....jk

What type of motor and outdrive do you have?

One thing that people forget with Mercruisers is to check is to make sure the bolts are tight where the gimble ring grabs onto the steering arm pin.  You let that wear out and its new gimble ring time and you have to either cut holes in the side of your transom ring or pull the motor out to replace it.  

3.0 mercruiser had it winterized by a marina but will look at those bolts thank you.

Jk. Thanks for tip on bearings will do

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On 3/10/2017 at 11:37 AM, stoneam2006 said:

3.0 mercruiser had it winterized by a marina but will look at those bolts thank you.

Jk. Thanks for tip on bearings will do

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Best way to check is to grab the end of the outdrive and move it back and forth left/right.  There shouldnt be much play in it.  If there is more than 3 to 4 inches of travel before it catches, then the gimble is already worn. 

Have worked on a lot of marine stuff but never an outdrive, 3 - 4 inches sounds excessive.  Unless you are talking about slop in the push pull cabling system.  And you are welcome about the bearings, in 50 years with trailors I have had problems only once.  That was when I believed my neighbor that bearing buddys were good for a long time.  I am now back to re packing twice a year.  I do not clean out the grease from within the bearings unless there is a color change in the grease and I use grease of two different colors and alternate them so I know when I  completely changed the grease.....jk