Vhf radio?

From Standard Horizon:

"The marine VHF band provides communications over distances that are essentially "line of sight".

Actual transmission range depends much more on antenna type, gain and height than on the power output of the transmitter.  On a fixed mount 25W radio transmission expected distances can be greater than 15 miles, for a portable 6W radio transmission the expected distance can be greater than 5 miles in "line of sight"."

The antenna height of both the transmitting radio and the receiving radio has the greatest impact on transmission distance.  Realistically, transmissions from a handheld radio to another boat is probably 4-5 miles max while to a Coast Guard antenna tower on land it can be greater but still limited to "line of sight"  

You don't "need" a fixed antenna for a handheld radio, they come with a short flexible antenna however you can get an adapter for the handheld radio and hook it up to a 8' fixed antenna and you would increase your transmission range. 

If I was going to install a fixed antenna I would also install a fixed radio to go with it.

A "good" fixed antenna will cost you as much or more than a 25W fixed radio but the antenna is more important to the performance of the whole system.  If you are going out on Lake Ontario I would strongly recommend a fixed radio with DSC and a good antenna as part of your basic safety equipment.