J plug painting

J plug painting

If there was one color j plug that I was going to paint up with air brush, what is the most successful color?  Any pics for reference?  Not new to painting, just new to salmon colors.  It's my understanding that the "ole" colors out shine the new colors that are on the market.  Just not sure what the "ole" colors are.  Thanks for any help and assistance.

Edited by gunnysargent12

Just came up from the basement and painted a J plug . The one broke off painted , Pearl white w/ black dots ,and silver red head are must haves. 

I love J plugs from sept 1 on . 

The one I painted was a green glo flour w/ no ladderback  and red head. also painted a few big O's I won as door prizes years ago . the were fitted with one single siwash hook. 

There is an art to fishing them IMO. Not just putting them out and dragging them around. 

Here's a couple I did yesterday.  I got a few more to do.  Not sure if the brown "goby" color was a good choice.  The reason I did a goby color is I painted a bunch of shallows divers for guys in the goby.  From what I'm hearing, it's a very good color for browns.  Do browns hit j plugs?  As you can tell, I'm completely new to salmon fishing.  

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

You may be new to the salmon fishing scene but not to painting....those things look great!:yes:  The postings above have sure hit on the ones I've favored over the years as well.  As far as chinooks go they are mainly suspended feeders and as far as I know don't do much bottom feeding where the gobies are or on them per se. Most of my use of the J plugs has been out deeper and down in the late summer or Fall rather than shallow water fishing with them (for one thing they can easily hang up in there because of their erratic movement) the exception might be while they are staging and have moved in close. The usual trigger then probably isn't the likeness to a particular bait as much as it is an aggressive response to an "intruder" or its action. Any of those cool looking J's may get some action from fish though and especially during the late summer or Fall. One year I even caught a big smallmouth bass on one on Lake O.

Edited by Sk8man

I've never ran Js for Browns. Not saying it wouldn't work, but j plugs tend to work better at higher speeds. I personally like to troll for BTs much slower.
The paint jobs look good. As previously mentioned, the brighter the glow, gaudy color, and rattles? That's a good recipe for staging kings....

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've done these colors for walleye cranks.  Bright, vibrant and loud.  Can any of these colors transfer over to plugs?  Green one is called radioactive and the yellow/pink/purple is called Fat Tuesday.  Maybe I'll try a couple plugs up in those and see what you guys think.  

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0481.JPG

Floro yellow base.   Then I hit it with a pearl green top coat.  While it's still wet, there's a technique to get the "swirl" effect.  Once the green is dried, I then dab in pearl white here and there all over.  All UV paints for extra vibrancy.  SOB glows and looks like nuclear waste in your hands. 

While the topic came up,,,,rattle vs non-rattle.   I've even read places guys drill out the BB rattles.  I prefer a little noise especially ina little stained, murky water.  At deep depths, sunlight just doesn't penetrate that far down.