Braided Line Advancement

Braided Line Advancement

I've been doing a bit of research with the Red, Green and Yellow color braids regarding trolling and what effect depth and light have on what the fish might see. Back a few years ago it seemed the norm was

using the Reds because the red would disappear so many feet down and thought to be unseen by the fish ,but we now no that through testing it actually turns black going down beyond 15 feet

and it now seems the greens stay green and can be seen by the fish. Now that Yellow Braid is out the graphs show it turns clear or virtually clear beyond 15 fow. I have always used a

fluorocarbon leader and see it as a must. I'm interested in trying the yellow out this year but only want to re-spool 2 reels for the try out. Wondering what other thoughts and  opinions there might be before I do.

All replies are appreciated.

Well when ya get that figured out, then you can figure this out lol Don't over think it. If Walleye were that smart they wouldn't swim into nets.
IMG_20170313_144926392_zpsntxotbib.jpg
IMG_20170313_144935898_zpsb2gzun6q.jpg

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

24 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Well when ya get that figured out, then you can figure this out lol Don't over think it. If Walleye were that smart they wouldn't swim into nets.
IMG_20170313_144926392_zpsntxotbib.jpg
IMG_20170313_144935898_zpsb2gzun6q.jpg

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

I'm more of the Trout, Salmon type fisherman, might be a little different then walleye fishing, I'm just wondering if I can up my game this year, Fishing and catching fish out of Oswego the past two years has become a challenge for many. 

You have mentioned that you use a fluoro leader. I'n not sure what length and fluoro is supposed to be "invisible":lol: to fish so what difference would your main line make regardless of whether this is so if the leader the lure attached is fairly long how is the fish going to examine your main line that far away while trailing the lure? I think in general a lot of "overthinking" goes on here and this may be a good example of it. Also there is a lot of over reliance on technology in general today as it applies to fishing - much of it is marketing hype and it is highly successful and I've been as much a "victim" of it as well. People have been successfully fishing for eons without all the technology and some have always been better at it than others. It is probably because they were better at studying the fish habits as well as examining detail about what they were doing right as well as wrong, while seeking their targets Time to put the microscope away....... I guess and not fret about the miniscule details. There is always going to be some marketing genius out there inferring that you are doing something wrong or they have a better answer:)

Edited by Sk8man

46 minutes ago, Landshark said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you trolling with braid?

It has such a small diameter you can fit a lot more on a smaller line counter reel than mono, its strength is greater, it has no give so you see the hit faster, it spools on and off straight, unlike mono's, cuts through the water easier, I always use a fluorocarbon leader for stealth, A 20-30 Salmon can rip off a lot of line. I use it off my riggers, my side planners, down the shoot depending on circumstances. during spiny flea season you can still use it just add a 100-200 feet of Cortland flea flicker or similar or 50lb Big game, flea's have a hard time hanging on to that. I've used mostly the reds and green power pro, yellow is looking like it is making a statement. What I didn't mention in my main article that I personally have seen a lot of reels on other boats loaded up with yellow braid or mono,

a lot of fishermen think they have something special and they don't want to tell or mention things that work really good. I don't have a problem posting something that I found works. I just don't have the consensus on the yellow except for the one gentleman that posted on here that switched to yellow.

3 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

You have nmentioned that you use a fluoro leader. I'n not sure what length and fluoro is supposed to be "invisible":lol: to fish so wht difference would your main line make regardless of whether this is so if the leader the lure attached is fairly long how is the fish going to examine your main line that far away wihile trailing the lure. I think in general a lot of "overthinking" goes on here and this may be a good example of it. Also there is a lot of over reliance on technology in general today as it applies to fishing - much of it is marketing hype and it is highly successful and I've been as much a "victim" of it as well. People have been successfully fishing for eons without all the technology and some have always been better at it than others. It is probably because they were better at studying the fish habits as well as examining detail about what they were doing right as well as wwrong, while seeking their targets Time to put the microscope away....... I guess and not fret about the miniscule details. There is always going to be some marketing genius out there inferring that you are doing something wrong or they have a better answer:)

I get what your saying and thought things like that through, Question is are others having more success with switching I've viewed on line tests that have been done on various fishing lines under water, since I have always used red or green power pro and now see the difference it makes under water I'm wondering how much a difference it might make it I switch it up. Everyday is different out there and fish can come at your presentation from any angle, water depth and clarity plays a big part too, so if my current line gives off some detail so far down according to the online graphs why wouldn't I want to try something that doesn't or shows less? I could use all fluorocarbon but would need a bigger real. I'm not over thinking it, here is what I've seen that brought me to thinking this and there has to be something to this because I saw several boats last year with reels spooled up with yellow. The way fishing has been out of Oswego the past couple years I'm just thinking maybe I can up my game a bit and just maybe someone will share their experience as one gentleman has already done who posted his positive change up. I don't have a big boat and all the fancy stuff just a comfortable one that catch's fish.  I usually fish alone since being retired so Im still trying to teach this old dog new tricks.lol

I can see you've given it thought and I guess anything s worth a shot to up your game if it actually does so. I guess seeing other guys with a certain color line spooled up may not mean that it is the "cats azz" though. They may have seen the same advertising. It is kinda like in ice fishing or perch fishing from a boat. Somebody leaves the launch and looks for the grouping of boats and goes there believing that those folks must be hammering them when in fact many of the others just got there sooner and nothing was really happening there. I hear ya on the teaching old dogs new tricks. I've been known to fall into that category myself:lol: My hunch is that depending on what you are targeting a 20 ft or so small diameter fluoroleader may be moreinportant than the braid color. One of the things I suspect that is going on with leadcore and copper may relate moreto the vibration in the water and with leadcore the "whipping" action so again there too the leader may be more important than the main line appearance (may either spook or attract). I would just increase the length of the leader and dial it down diameter wise for starters and especially for shallow water fishing m(e.g. for browns especially)..

Edited by Sk8man

I noticed last year. One rigger rod clear 30 lb big game. Other 30 lb green. I was catching fish put same flasher and fly same depth on the green, the clear fired nothing on green line?? Thought it was weired. Think all season only had 2 releases on green line rod. So maybe the reason. On my dipsey I run 40 lb power pro right to dipsey. 30 lb clear big game to flasher. Other 40 lb suffix that turned lighter green had only two fish on the faded line. Wouldn't think it would make a difference but it did.

Edited by phil2

This is what totally blows my mind, yep that 1 living cell I have left!! Ice fishing goes against all the rules of open water fishing!!  Guys go out drill a hole in the iice that's got to carry sound for miles?? Now we get out a primitive stick with black line and a hook tied to the line hook a minnow on send down the whole, and commence to drill another hole 50ft from the hole we just set? Now we get out a pole that shorter than my daughters Barbie Poles got mono on a reel that looks like it was made by Mattel down goes a silver little thing a ma jig with a little ball of green snot looking stuff and up comes a nice walleye!! What gives? Now the lake thaws and we need all this technology to catch a bamn fish?? Most of this line Buisness is to catch people not fish in my mind. I know fish travel in schools but I tend to believe it has nothing to do with books or a teacher or education. Lol

4 hours ago, on the lam said:

When you say fishing out of Oswego has been challenging, do you mean your breaking fish off? Are you looking to use braid on rigger rods?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Past couple of years you really have to do a lot of scouting and trolling to find the fish, there just not there like past years, I don't travel too far East Or west  from Oswego Harbor so when I do find them and mark them and you throw everything at them day after day somethings going on. I'm not saying I don't catch fish, just wondering if I change some thing would I catch more. I've been using braid on my rigger rods for years. A underwater camera would help set the picture, just not ready to invest in one.

2 hours ago, phil2 said:

I noticed last year. One rigger rod clear 30 lb big game. Other 30 lb green. I was catching fish put same flasher and fly same depth on the green, the clear fired nothing on green line?? Thought it was weired. Think all season only had 2 releases on green line rod. So maybe the reason. On my dipsey I run 40 lb power pro right to dipsey. 30 lb clear big game to flasher. Other 40 lb suffix that turned lighter green had only two fish on the faded line. Wouldn't think it would make a difference but it did.

Thanks, that's interesting