Fiberglass fuel tank

scobar

Fiberglass fuel tank

My aluminum boat has a fiberglass fuel tank, every once in a while you can smell a light gas odor. I call the mfg and was told that  fiberglass tanks can actually let the gas vapor pass through them. Is this true, I am pretty sure their is no leak, thanks

Scott

Checked all connections, fill line actually has 2 clamps on it, I'll add a second to the vent, supply line to motor also has 2 clamps. I guess it could be possible a pin hole in the top of the tank somewhere that I cant see

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Many incidents involving ethanol eating fuel lines, and many boat owners have had to remove fiberglass tanks and replace with aluminum. Even if you went to exclusive non ethanol from now forward the damage may be done. Not only the fire/explosion risk, but fine pieces of fuel line or tank can cause damage to your motor/motors. Take this very seriously. 

1 hour ago, Capt Vince Pierleoni said:

Many incidents involving ethanol eating fuel lines, and many boat owners have had to remove fiberglass tanks and replace with aluminum. Even if you went to exclusive non ethanol from now forward the damage may be done. Not only the fire/explosion risk, but fine pieces of fuel line or tank can cause damage to your motor/motors. Take this very seriously. 

Take the tank out!! Let me fill you in on our experience!! My uncle complained about the smell of raw gas also, well one morning I got a phone call at 5:am his garage floor was soaked in fuel, and his coal stove that heats his hot water is in there, he told me to to the closest place and grab all the floor dry I could find. Make a long story short we took up the floor board and his fuel cell looked like it melted down it was just a blob in there. We were told the ethanol in the fuel and the additives you add to eliminate the ethanol also react to the fiberglass. The only thing that takes that resin off your hands is, ay shyt I'm having a brain fart, anyway it's a form of alcohol, what is corn juice?? Alcohol, after a period of time the fiberglass breaks down. Now we don't have access to alcohol free gas like you guys, but even The additives you add to rid the corn juice causes a breakdown of the resins in fiberglass. I did quite a lot of fiberglass work, as I worked for a  relative that owned a vette shop. Learned a lot of tricks to the trade. Also learned what alcohol does to fiberglass. Vince I'd pull the for plate even if it's just for a piece of mind!! Good luck To ya in finding your smell, check to make sure you didn't wax your vent hole shut!! I did that once, so now the fumes build pressure and will take the path of least resistance. How I found that out I couldn't put fuel in it kept backing up and kicking the pump off. Noticed what I did, went in the gas station and bought a tooth brush and pushed the bristles through the screen then brushed the hell out of it. Problems solved.:whew:

If you smell gas, there is gas. My fill line leaked on a full tank and the line hardened with age. Really unable to access the clamps I had to pull the tank. I now use portable six gallon tanks. Easy to fill locally and easy to monitor dirt and water accumulation.

1997 Lowe, all aluminum floor over the tank as well. I would have to cut the floor open to access the entire tank, it can be done I guess. I'll have to start looking for a new tank. I have used both types of gas, and owned the boat since 98, added who knows how many additives over the years....any one know a good deal on tanks, a guess at 60" x 20" x 8"

I would have to believe you could take that floor out without cutting it, yes it will be more work but if this is your long time rig it's well worth it. There are several companies that build aluminum tanks to specs, you could get exact measurements after you pull tank.

Pap, sorry to hear of your misfortune involving ethanol destruction. I am an anti ethanol crusader, and will go well out of the way to get non ethanol for the boats, utv, chainsaws, weedwhackers, ect.  HATE isn't a strong enough word for what I think of the concept of diluting real gas with it.

going to get ugly, but I think I'm going to pull it. I did see a few places that make tanks. Was thinking stainless but one mfg said the USCG does not allow stainless tanks, wonder why.

Yea I don't, get the price gouging on fuel line, just because it has the red stripe on it they gouge you $10.00 a foot for the fill line. And the same for the line that feeds the system, personally I put the newer fuel line on approved for ethenal but it's not UCCG approved, but only 3" of that line shows from the bulk head to the water/seperator. The marinea didn't have the newer Ethanol approved line in yet when I did this . 5-6 years ago. After paying well over $100.00 for fill line, that was enough for me. I can't believe that a aluminumm boat doesn't have a floor plate to remove for the fuel cell it's self?? Although my father in laws cuts his aluminumm with a circular saw and that works nice, not as good as a plasma cutter, but with fuel I'd go the circular saw. This whole mess sucks!!!

1 hour ago, scobar said:

Pulled the carpet and floor goes full across the deck. I may try to pressurize the tank some maybe 5lbs to see if it shows me where the fumes come from

OMG I thought you ment Plexiglass so you could see! Man sometimes I amaze myself  :thinking:. Sorry to hear your delemia!!  Sent from your 1 brain cell member PAP