Pulaski State of the lake

7 hours ago, Legacy said:

The Genesee Charter Boat Assoc takes care of the pens for the Genesee River. They would welcome the help. If you join the GCBA you will be added to the mailing list and notified of pen project work parties, feeding schedules, etc.

$15 a year for associate members. GCBA.com. Piece of cake. Just do it!!

I know it isn't easy to see or understand what one bird can do!! Those damn blue heron cleaned my trout pond out, I can't imagine what a flock of those basterds do to the fish. The tree huggers certainly wouldn't approve my mission on them, but it certainly would be cheaper than paying someone to spray oil on the eggs. Come on!!!

Cormorants need to have an old fashioned bounty of say $10/bird, and each angler should have a quota of 4 birds to shoot before he can put a line in the water on each fishing trip.  I have seen those birds wipe out walleye and perch populations in lakes in the Dakotas.  This government ought to be about the best chance we have at getting something like this started! :)

John if they start feasting on the walleye in Lake'O that's where I draw the line. Although the blue heron are like ghost figures here in Pa. No matter what happened to the bird one day?? The next day or 2 it was back. I never believed in ghosts before but now I do.:lol:

Football field size flocks, 4 and 5 of them some mornings, stretched throughout a 20 mile area in Jefferson Cty. Sometimes all togther and at times flocks 10 mils apart, I'd blitz thru them and they would scatter, yet land 1-200 yds awy, but then they close back in, at times within casting distance. Within 5 minutes of flying away they are already diving again and feeding. Fish have absolutely no where to hide, I've witnessed them press a school of fish up against a shoreline and just feast. From 5-35 fow doesn't matter. Perch from 6-10" absolutely no match for the birds

I'd imagine an entire pen project of fry, 40-60,000 fry, could be devastated in 1 day, no lie 1 day they could be gone, very sad !!!!

Tom

9 minutes ago, A-TOM-MIK said:

Football field size flocks, 4 and 5 of them some mornings, stretched throughout a 20 mile area in Jefferson Cty. Sometimes all togther and at times flocks 10 mils apart, I'd blitz thru them and they would scatter, yet land 1-200 yds awy, but then they close back in, at times within casting distance. Within 5 minutes of flying away they are already diving again and feeding. Fish have absolutely no where to hide, I've witnessed them press a school of fish up against a shoreline and just feast. From 5-35 fow doesn't matter. Perch from 6-10" absolutely no match for the birds

I'd imagine an entire pen project of fry, 40-60,000 fry, could be devastated in 1 day, no lie 1 day they could be gone, very sad !!!!

Tom

Oh, they can take down perch way over the 10" size, Tom.  I have seen them gobbling down 12"-14" fish on the prairie lakes.  If NY state can get a bounty system going on them, I think the rest of the states would follow, and help to curb these fish massacring bastards!!!  The quota would be a minimum amount each boat has to kill before fishing.  I think we need to turn to drastic methods to stop these birds from wiping out more fish stocks!!

Edited by John Kelley

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:15 AM, UNREEL said:

$15 a year for associate members. GCBA.com. Piece of cake. Just do it!!

Wait a minute, you guys are the ones saying trib anglers don't help out, but then we'll have to kick in 15 bucks to belong to an organization we may have no commonality with to find out about a publicly funded volunteer opportunity?  That dog don't hunt, just sayin'.   I think it becomes incumbent on the Genesee Charter Org to get the information out to the general fishing community if they want the additional bodies, or to not bellyache if they end up doing it all themselves.

1 hour ago, John Kelley said:

Oh, they can take down perch way over the 10" size, Tom.  I have seen them gobbling down 12"-14" fish on the prairie lakes.  If NY state can get a bounty system going on them, I think the rest of the states would follow, and help to curb these fish massacring bastards!!!  The quota would be a minimum amount each boat has to kill before fishing.  I think we need to turn to drastic methods to stop these birds from wiping out more fish stocks!!

They are Federally regulated birds so NYS can at best negotiate a control program, and the courts just threw out the one that was in place, involving egg oiling and harassment.  Commercial interests in LA  in the past have gotten permits to shoot birds raiding their pens, but New York has not been successful.    But you make a good point about the pens the Rochester pens are just west of Irondequoit Bay, which is loaded with shags now, and just east of Braddock Bay, which also sees pretty large numbers.  Caledonia managed to keep the birds out of the pens during the bad winters when the mergansers went inland and ate most of the trout in Oatka Creek and Spring Brook, maybe their control method would work on the net pens.

Guy at work said his 80 year old step father passed yesterday  . He lived on Chamout bay ,said he wanted ( his dying wish) some of his ashes loaded in 5  12 gauge shells with ,and he said this specificly , lead shot ,and kill some cormorants he hated. 

48 minutes ago, HB2 said:

guy at work said his 80 year old step father passed yesterday  . He lived on Chamout bay ,said he wanted ( his dying wish) some of his ashes loaded in 5  12 gauge shells with ,and he said this specificly , lead shot ,and kill some cormorants he hated. 

I feel some of his pain ):

Wait a minute, you guys are the ones saying trib anglers don't help out, but then we'll have to kick in 15 bucks to belong to an organization we may have no commonality with to find out about a publicly funded volunteer opportunity?  That dog don't hunt, just sayin'.   I think it becomes incumbent on the Genesee Charter Org to get the information out to the general fishing community if they want the additional bodies, or to not bellyache if they end up doing it all themselves.

http://geneseecharterboat.com/pen-rearing/
https://www.facebook.com/Genesee-Charter-Boat-Association-199355023482457/

Well considering the club has a website and a facebook page.....I'd say thats pretty good.

The GCBA is for Captains and non captains to be part of. Its doesn't matter which end of the fence your on, we all want a better fishery. Rec guys, Charter guys, and stream guys are all welcome. The club is really evolving and is gaining new memebers all the time. So there is not misinformation out there, the club does more than Charter business. Yes there is talk about the Charter industy as a whole, planning for events like the round table discussions, and the flea market ( Held yesterday). The initial brainstorming for the Monroe County Offshore Classic was done at the GCBA meetings. New angling techniques, fishing reports ( and yes we talk about trib fishing as well). A few of our members travel throughout the United States to meet with Natural Reasouce experts. Its really facinating to hear back from them on different stocking theories and baitfish management ideas. If your looking for indepth angling talk, most of the Captains stay after the meeting for an impromptu B.S. session. And finally the pen rearing program.... from November to well into the Spring ,the Pen Rearing program is an important part of the monthly meeting....
So.... my advice to all anglers.... don't put your hands in your pockets, whistle, and stare up at the ceiling... get involved in your local fishing clubs...Elotsa, Lotsa, and the GCBA are always looking for members.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

With five good 12 ga rounds last year I could have eliminated at least 50 of the flying sh!t houses. Packed in the trees like sardines. Crapped all over me and the boat from the trees just waiting for my son to come back from the launch parking. Whole area smelled like a bad chicken farm in 100 degrees.
What is the need to federally protect such a nasty bird? Aren't they some kind of food value in China?
They are way out of hand!

cent frum my notso smartphone

• 1 month later...

A few years ago when there were a lot of problems with cormorants and DEC was oiling the eggs, the DEC had reports on there website saying what they were doing and what it cost. One island they landed on to oil eggs had no cormorants on the island. They found one raccoon  on the island.

I mentioned it on the thread and a week later all the reports were taken of the site. I think they thought fisherman would live trap raccoons to save them money. Maybe more raccoons will swim out to the islands. I sure hope so.