vintage trolling spoons!?!?!

Ok, I'm new here, so if I do something wrong or that I'm not sapposed to do please let me know.

I recently aquired a bunch of old spoons mostly flutters. including some Suttons, Millers, Pine Valley, Jenson, and even an old Heddon, but most are not marked. I know they are old so I'm sure there is some value, but really just want to know who made them. Anything you could tell me about any of them would be great. Thanks in advance.

.20170314_132742.jpg 20170314_132736.jpg 20170314_132732.jpg 20170314_132724.jpg 20170314_132713.jpg 20170314_132704.jpg 20170314_132657.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think you may have better luck posting the groupsseparately or something. That is a lot of spoons and they are all mixed together...it could take a lifetime to describe them the way they are now :)

Edited by Sk8man

The first silver spoons are various Sutton's 88's a 35 etc. The interesting thing is that the ones with the holes in them have been converted from the copper jerking fixed hook versions to flutters. Second grouping - Alpena Diamonds, third group Miller flutter spoons (deadly on the rainbows on Seth Greens in the old days), fourth group - Possibly Luhr Jensens?, fifth group -?, sixth group - look like magnum Honeybees but there are a couple of other look alike maunfacturers, seventh group look like Luhr Jensens, eigth group Quick Strike 88's, 9th group -mixture one is Acme Looter with blue stripe near quarter and some are Clearwaters I think

Edited by Sk8man

The ones with the devil face on them are eppinger's.  Look like flutter chucks to me.

1st picture: top ones with the red bead are evil eyes.

7th picture: the ones towards the top (green with blk/yellow stripe) look like either southport slammers or northport nailers.  Very bottom one in same picture is a Doctor spoon. (Loved that one as you could reverse the ring & the hook & get a completely different action)

Tom B.

LongLine

At the very top of the original pics at the right next to the Evil Eyes is a Charger spoon (1967 ish?). Top right photo small green spoon at left is a Heddon Sculpin, the four in same pic with diagonal tape are either Northport Nailers or Southport Slammers. Tom is right about the Eppinger Flutter Devils I just noticed the devils head :),. One of the interesting things about a number of the spoons is that they have soldered rings.....they did not come that way originally someone modified  them after they bought them as they did the modifications to the  Sutton's which do come stock with the soldered rings (rather than split rings).

Edited by Sk8man

I guess I look at my Sutton's just in terms of catching fish (which they do very well) other than the really old ones that belonged to my grandfather (sentimental value). are still cranking the Sutton's out at the store in Naples.

Lots of history there. Could you imagine if those spoons could talk?  I don't know how you came by them, but If I had to guess the angler who accrued them fished from Sodus to Oak Orchard mostly, and had some connection or time spent on the fingers as well.

The Alpena Diamonds and Jensen Flutter spoons as well as the Tamiron spoons all came with welded rings stock OEM.  Not only because the Chinook you hooked back in that era (mid 70's--early 80's) may be the only one of the day(or week), but also because top quality split rings were hard to come by.   

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

I guess Vince's memory is better than mine - one of the many benefits of youth:lol: I had remembered about the Alpenas but not the Luhr Jensens and Honeybees etc. having the soldered rings. I probably should have actually got mine out from down cellar and checked them out:) Sutton spoons have always had them and in the old days pretty much all the real old spoons had solid rings and the really old ones had different swivels as well. They even soldered the hooks on some spoons as well as attached hooks to them in different places on the spoon (notice it on the 3rd from the left (flutter spoon). The others are for trolling with wire or copper.

DSC08636.JPG

DSC08638.JPG

Edited by Sk8man