New guy questions

3 minutes ago, dmd113 said:

You run the longer deeper cores closer to the boat. Shorter cores go in first & slide out further on big boards. When you want to get deeper we add snap weights to line where core meets flours leader. DONT snap weight on leadcore it will weaken Dacron sheath. Hook to flouro leader. You can also run leadcore way outside off board & dipsy diver in tight to the boat on the same side. You can run jets off the boards but don't recommend using them on same side as leadcore. Some do but I don't like to.

:yes:

Just run a four Rod spread. Two wire divers and two riggers. You can turn on fish quicker and you will have less headaches. Just like Capt Vince said, keep it simple and you will make the most out of your bites and ultimately enjoy your learning curve. If you start deploying all kinds of junk lines on a small boat, you will have a mess with a feisty spring king when it gets near the boat. Trust me on this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ok...so if I got it straight (ish lol) o can run leadcore off boards to the depth the leadcore will give me or I can attach addition weight by snap weights to the leader to get deeper?

Now when you say flour that the same size mono?

And when you say Don't use same side as lead core when riding divers on boards does that mean same side of boat period or just don't clip them both on the boards?

Another question I have is my boat is a 17.5 foot with the 3.0 mercruiser i/o and I would like imput on weather to use trolling plate or use the bags you drag?

I appreciate all the info more than you guys know.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ok so 4 rods 2 riggers and 2 divers. What would my spools look like for that setup?

I definatly don't want a issue most if not all days I'll have my 6 yr old son and some wife and 4 yr old daughter so easy and consistency is what I want. Just want to go out and catch some fish and have fun.

And your magda pro reels are fine. I'm going on 6 or 7 years with mine. A convector just has one more ball bearing and some stainless trim.

Good to hear I've got to buy a few more reels either way so I was thinking about buying some better ones. Glad to hear they are not junk considering I will end up using them as I already own them.

3 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Good to hear I've got to buy a few more reels either way so I was thinking about buying some better ones. Glad to hear they are not junk considering I will end up using them as I already own them.

Did not mean to trash any one's gear should of said for the pirce difference it's worth the upgrade.

Did not mean to trash any one's gear should of said for the pirce difference it's worth the upgrade.

Im here for honest opinions and I understand you get what you pay for I didn't take it as trashing my gear more of warned about issues. I have been previously warned about them before this thread that's only reason why I knew convetors were better reels. I appreciate the help whether I want to hear it or not. I'd rather not learn all this the hard way.

Ok so 4 rods 2 riggers and 2 divers. What would my spools look like for that setup?

I definatly don't want a issue most if not all days I'll have my 6 yr old son and some wife and 4 yr old daughter so easy and consistency is what I want. Just want to go out and catch some fish and have fun.

1000' of wire on two reels. 30# maxima chameleon or your monofilament of choice on two reels. Be sure you tape the wire to the spool to prevent slipping. You will get years of use from these setups and you can adjust your leader to the target species using back to back uni knots on the 30# mono reels.

1000' of wire on two reels. 30# maxima chameleon or your monofilament of choice on two reels. Be sure you tape the wire to the spool to prevent slipping. You will get years of use from these setups and you can adjust your leader to the target species using back to back uni knots on the 30# mono reels.

Im hoping to run planner boards too. What would you run for spools on them. The way I was looking at it I could run boards outside aways then run dipsy inside them then riggers inside them. Maybe not at first but I think that is what I'm looking to get to on my boat eventually.

I am hoping to for sure may even book a charter to learn

You have way too many questions to help you properly. You need a hands on informative charter for a day with some buddies to have a whole bunch of your questions answered in a visual setting.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

If your fishing for eyes too, spool some braid on a couple reels for running sticks off the boards. 2 5 colors wouldn't hurt either, but you have to get comfortable running that spread. Again, I like a four Rod spread to keep it simple. That way when I hook a fish, I can turn quickly and go back through the same school and get another.

You have way too many questions to help you properly. You need a hands on informative charter for a day with some buddies to have a whole bunch of your questions answered in a visual setting.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

It is on my list and I have talked to a charter captain on here. I am for sure going to be trying to do that.

That being said I run my phone battery dead 10 times a day reading and watching youtube videos and I know there are alot of knowledgeable guys here so figured I'd take what I can get here and try and retain as much as possible so when I do go on that charter I don't have to waste so much time on the simpler concepts/questions

11 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

And just incase it got lost few pages back I am also looking for info on whether to run bags or a trolling plate if anyone has any imput on that.

My last boat was a 20' Grady-White with a 200 hp Mercury outboard.  I used a trolling plate, and could get down to 1.3 mph, or as fast as 2.5 mph.  You can modify the plate to be all the way down, half way up, or all the way up.  I found I had more control with the plate than with bags.

If storage is going to be a concern, being a multi-activity boat, you may want to consider that you do not need to store a trolling plate like you would with trolling bags.

Just my $0.02

Edited by Big Spoon

If your fishing for eyes too, spool some braid on a couple reels for running sticks off the boards. 2 5 colors wouldn't hurt either, but you have to get comfortable running that spread. Again, I like a four Rod spread to keep it simple. That way when I hook a fish, I can turn quickly and go back through the same school and get another.

So a good eye rig would be to run stick bait on boards with braid.

2. 5 color reels what does that give you depth and what would you run them on or with

My last boat was a 20' Grady-White with a 200 hp Mercury outboard.  I used a trolling plate, and could get down to 1.3 mph, or as fast as 2.5 mph.  You can modify the plate to be all the way down, half way up, or all the way up.  I found I had more control with the plate than with bags.

If storage is going to be a concern, being a multi-activity boat, you may want to consider that you do not need to store a trolling plate like you would with trolling bags.

Just my $0.02

Thank you. Now the plate 1.3 is plenty slow for just about anytime right? And I was trolling 3 without anything last year but learned pretty quick I was way to fast considering I was catching up to the other boats quickly while fishing the genny on LO.

6 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Thank you. Now the plate 1.3 is plenty slow for just about anytime right? And I was trolling 3 without anything last year but learned pretty quick I was way to fast considering I was catching up to the other boats quickly while fishing the genny on LO.

I mis-spoke - the boat would get down to 0.7 mph SOG - just checked an old post.  Plenty slow for most everything

Edited by Big Spoon
error

Just start simple and work extra rods into your spread as you get comfortable. There is no definitive recipe for success. We're all continuously learning.

Absolutly that's my plan start small and gradually try and work more in. I'll stay away from the crowds and chaos until I get comfortable. But I would like to have all the options availible on any givin day. So I can switch out fish different depths and really try and catch some fish.

Fingerlakes lake Trout has been a dream of mine sence I was a kid. I grew up in Canandaigua without a boat and remember being out on a friend's at 10 or 11 hooked on a are Trout. Something I wanna give my kids and parents. Now that I own a boat I am in the insane task 9f trying to learn how to fish out of a boat. Never in a million years did I expect this many tactics and ways to catch them.

It may be a little fast for walleyes depending on the day, but certainly slow enough for anything else.  Your boat may go slower/faster with a plate.  If you need to get down lower, you could always use a 5 gallon bucket in addition to the plate

Lol that's how I got down last year in the genny pulled boat ran to store bought 6 buckets and drug them all day.

Thanks for help