New guy questions

1 minute ago, stoneam2006 said:

Lol that's how I got down last year in the genny pulled boat ran to store bought 6 buckets and drug them all day.

Thanks for help

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I had to redact on my previous comment - I was able to get down to 0.7 mph (had to check an old post)

Another question I have is my boat is a 17.5 foot with the 3.0 mercruiser i/o and I would like imput on weather to use trolling plate or use the bags you drag?

Go with one smallish bag and one medium size bag. Depending on wind and waves, you can deploy the small, the medium, or both for three levels of speed control.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The first time you forget to raise it before hitting the gas you'll bend it like a pretzel. Cutting thrust with a plate reduces steerage. Drilling of holes in lower unit necessary. Mounting bolts are dissimilar to aluminum housing - corrosion concerns if boat is docked. Fighting a fish and want to slow down easily, just toss in other bag, net fish, pull bag, back to trolling speed without touching throttle. I could go on some more...

The first time you forget to raise it before hitting the gas you'll bend it like a pretzel. Cutting thrust with a plate reduces steerage. Drilling of holes in lower unit necessary. Mounting bolts are dissimilar to aluminum housing - corrosion concerns if boat is docked. Fighting a fish and want to slow down easily, just toss in other bag, net fish, pull bag, back to trolling speed without touching throttle. I could go on some more...

Ok I'll be doing some research all sound like very valid points. I appreciate it. Any size specifically for a 17.5 3.0 i/o?

Ok I'll be doing some research all sound like very valid points. I appreciate it. Any size specifically for a 17.5 3.0 i/o?

I run a larger boat so can't give advise as to specific size(s). I recommend contacting Amish Outfitters and ask for them to recommend a small and medium size for your boat/power. Many people go with a pair of same size, but the small and medium gives more flexibility to adjust your speed.

Here's a link: https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

What are the perks of the bags over the plate?

Just want to add that the bags will also help stabilize your boat. I run Amish bags on each side and the boat "sits" (so to speak) well in the waves.
As advised before call Amish Outfitters or go to their site.

2 divers means dipsy divers, to keep rod purchase at a minimum use braid line for the dipsy divers. I use 30# on dipsy set up, lot of guys use 50#. For the down riggers I use 17# mono. You can use that in both lakes

What area are you from I personally troll from a small (14ft boat) on the finger lakes however I'm set up just like most of the bigger boats and would be glad to fill an open seat if you were willing to join, so you can pass the knowledge on to your 6 year old. By all means don't be afraid to still book a charter however most captains won't start using those deeper water tactics you want to learn until May. And we use them year around on the fingerlakes

What area are you from I personally troll from a small (14ft boat) on the finger lakes however I'm set up just like most of the bigger boats and would be glad to fill an open seat if you were willing to join, so you can pass the knowledge on to your 6 year old. By all means don't be afraid to still book a charter however most captains won't start using those deeper water tactics you want to learn until May. And we use them year around on the fingerlakes

Pm sent

On Cayuga have good luck with greens for lakers orange and red for bow and LL
Browns seem to like ever color but it's different every day I run green  spin doctor with green fly on wire dipsy with around 250' out for lakers dose good stuff with dots on it are good . Great Lakes Lure company, hunny bee,evil eye, dream wever, are all good Sutton and stinger are good but the finish on them don't last long not worth the money to me I would get a 300 ,500 cooper definitely get yourself some lead core I think you will like the big boards  over inline especially if running copper or lead off them used riggers  all over the internet for a good price.

I had several people tell me big boards are not ideal for salmon due the slack in the line created when it releases from the main line to the big board whereas in lines don't get slack like that. Is this not accurate?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app