Spring Fishing-Niagara Bar?

Been reading a d seeing videos about the kings, lakers, etc at the Niagara Bar around May-ish and want to give it a try. Have a few questions for those of you with experience on Lake O.

-What baits are you usually running in this area that time of year and at what speeds?

-What are the recommended launches and bait shop (s) in the area?

-What is historically the best time of year for fishing this area? (All of may, beginning, end, or none of the above)

The salmon fishing over here in Michigan doesn't usually fire up until summer and Lake O salmon fishery is in much better shape than Lake Michigan anyway so I'm just wanting to get out and chase the big fish earlier in the year.

I love learning but any help to get ahead of the curve is much appreciated, we have already caught some good walleye in MI/OH this year but I can't wait to hook into a fish that pulls back lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

All of may is primetime for kings. April to early May is killer for lake trout. 50+ fish lakers per day is not uncommon. I would suggest booking a charter with one of the many experienced and capable captains out of the ports of Wilson or Olcott, and you will not only catch the fish you're after, but if you pay attention, you will gain the knowledge you seek to be successful on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I run mainly spoons, and fish the marks on the graph, bait and fish. You can try flasher fly presentaions as well, but if the fish aren't jumping on them i stick with the less than mag spoon size. Depending on water temps, you will find fish in different depths, sometimes along the drop off, sometimes they orient on the shelf near the red can. The red can is the outer marker for the bar and is situated near the drop off. You often find a concentration of boats moving east to west and back there going along the drop. Just fit in and move with them, it's really popular there at times, so good to have a few pairs of eyes watching for traffic. Launches are many but the closest is Fort Niagara, not the best. Next would be Wilson Harbor and the public launch at Tuscarora State park. It's about 10 miles west to the Red Can., but you can set up about 7 miles off four mile creek and troll west to the can. You will find fish along the way, mix of coho and kings and lots of lakers.
Current is a player in the area of the can and out deeper of the drop so if you can employ down speed it will be a great asset. I would use some lead core or copper as these produce better sometimes especially in mid morning and day when the many boats have the fish negative. Speeds are similar to your fishing in Michigan. May is good timing and this year should be good with the Niagara flow being warmer due to low ice cover on Erie and no threat of the ice boom releasing ice and junk into the Niagara Bar area. Still be vigilant though, as there has been some rogue trees, dock parts, etc. floating under the surface at times. Hope this helps! Others will add to this that frequently fish the bar more than I do.
Mark

cent frum my notso smartphone

27 minutes ago, skipper19 said:

I run mainly spoons, and fish the marks on the graph, bait and fish. You can try flasher fly presentaions as well, but if the fish aren't jumping on them i stick with the less than mag spoon size. Depending on water temps, you will find fish in different depths, sometimes along the drop off, sometimes they orient on the shelf near the red can. The red can is the outer marker for the bar and is situated near the drop off. You often find a concentration of boats moving east to west and back there going along the drop. Just fit in and move with them, it's really popular there at times, so good to have a few pairs of eyes watching for traffic. Launches are many but the closest is Fort Niagara, not the best. Next would be Wilson Harbor and the public launch at Tuscarora State park. It's about 10 miles west to the Red Can., but you can set up about 7 miles off four mile creek and troll west to the can. You will find fish along the way, mix of coho and kings and lots of lakers.
Current is a player in the area of the can and out deeper of the drop so if you can employ down speed it will be a great asset. I would use some lead core or copper as these produce better sometimes especially in mid morning and day when the many boats have the fish negative. Speeds are similar to your fishing in Michigan. May is good timing and this year should be good with the Niagara flow being warmer due to low ice cover on Erie and no threat of the ice boom releasing ice and junk into the Niagara Bar area. Still be vigilant though, as there has been some rogue trees, dock parts, etc. floating under the surface at times. Hope this helps! Others will add to this that frequently fish the bar more than I do.
Mark

Skipper, what's wrong with the Fort Niagara launch? I've never been, but would like to make the trip someday.

Skipper, what's wrong with the Fort Niagara launch? I've never been, but would like to make the trip someday.

It's just a harder ramp to launch, and the parking space can be a premium, currents in the river can be a challenge. It's not bad but there are better launches. I've used it a couple times. Just prefer the park or Olcott for convenience.

It's just a harder ramp to launch, and the parking space can be a premium, currents in the river can be a challenge. It's not bad but there are better launches. I've used it a couple times. Just prefer the park or Olcott for convenience.

Use the south launch, it's much better. I believe they are both getting some work done to improve for this year so we will see

Use the south launch, it's much better. I believe they are both getting some work done to improve for this year so we will see

Thanks Kingslammin! Good to know as I'm usually a Point Breeze guy. I like Olcott launch for western excursions. Everything is there for convenience. Bait, fish cleaning station, boat cleaning station, ice, pinic tables, tackle, nice parking. Very clean and relaxing. Heated bathrooms and showers too! Its a great launch to clean out the big motor for 20 miles to the bar on a calmer day.

I launch a 19' at the Fort, no real problems other than falling off the end of the ramp with the trailer, be careful with that. All my launches have been on the North ramp, would guess 20 or so in the last few years. 

Thanks Kingslammin! Good to know as I'm usually a Point Breeze guy. I like Olcott launch for western excursions. Everything is there for convenience. Bait, fish cleaning station, boat cleaning station, ice, pinic tables, tackle, nice parking. Very clean and relaxing. Heated bathrooms and showers too! Its a great launch to clean out the big motor for 20 miles to the bar on a calmer day.

I usually launch at Olcott as I live in town. If heading to the bar, I like to launch in Wilson. The 10 mile run is soothing to me on calm seas.

I launch a 19' at the Fort, no real problems other than falling off the end of the ramp with the trailer, be careful with that. All my launches have been on the North ramp, would guess 20 or so in the last few years. 

Yeah, that was a problem for me with a 24 ft.

North Niagra launch is/was a shallower and less steep ramp. The south launch is steeper and never gave me trouble. Also nice cleaning station between the launches...behind bathrooms. I normally launch at Wilson but will launch at the bar if the bite is near the Canadian line. FYI the bite was pretty solid on the west end all season. Typical spread on my boat is 2 wire dipsys with flashers 2 riggers with spoons and free slider cheaters...and a copper down the shute with a mag spoon. Colors vary but greens...glows...and spooks are staples...at least for me. May the bite is normally in top 50 fow but watch for marks and adjust.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Agree with everyones  advice on your making a trip to fish Niagara Bar. My reccomendation for a 1 day charter is Matt Yabonski Wet Net Charters 716-550-0413 or 716-550-9413. getthenetwet.com  Spend 1 day on Matts boat and the rest of your time will be way more productive. Also I would suggest coming between May5th and 14th and sign up  for the LOC derby that runs during those dates,  its a 44,000 payout for the derby with 15,000 for biggest salmon caught. Its usually great fishing and the derby winner usually comes from the Niagara Bar. The place to launch is Fort Niagara State Park IMHO. Gets you closest to good fishing with shortest boat ride. You can register for LOC derby on line at www.loc.org  check it out!!

• 1 month later...

Fort Niagara Launch last summer was difficult. The water was so low, you had to pole your boat out into deep enough water to lower your motor. With the rain this year, its probably not a problem. I heard they were working on the ramps, so I do not know the status as of today, May 7th. If the weather ever gets right, That will be my first trip.