Random chit chat about big fish

It's almost time again and that drag ripping rod shaking has me addicted to say the least. Last year was my first dedicated full season on lake o "still can't believe I only fished Erie once" and I did really well caught a lot of fish made a lot of memories. Here's the thing I'm curious about most days i get on fish and pull a couple jacks a few juvies a teen or two and 1 major. Are there pockets of good fish to be found or is it a matter of sorting thru them. Believe me I get not every fish will be 20+ but should I leave my fish and search on? I only fish out if olcott and last year I was on a pretty steady inside bite all season 70-150 from the chute to Wilson. The thing that had me wondering is there was hardly any traffic around me yet guys at the dock weren't doing well out deep but kept running out every weekend. Now I'm obviously not looking for numbers but should I be searching deeper or down to the bar this spring in my search for mature fish? Or just keep plugging away? It's a grass is always greener type of question I know but what's your guys game plan

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If I was marking and catching fish on the inside I would stay there. My rule is never leave fish. Sure you will get many other opinions on this.

X2, the only exception being if I'm catching one jack after another. Those big trebles are certain death for those little guys and are our future matures.

The bite typically starts at the bar and works its way East as the waters warm. By mid May you should be able to fish Salmon out front. That is of course if the East winds don't pile cold water for days. The bar is always a safe bet in May though.

I hate leaving fish also battlehammer when I go thru a pod of jacks I try to stay away also. I have noticed that there's usually some better fish outside and deeper than they are. Yankee I just have to mention I appreciate your reports over the years I still can't get sea sick wadler to go lol but I still wash it. I do hear better numbers earlier at the bar but also a lot more traffic I landed my first king April 17 last year and I recall a good school two years ago just west of port early/inside also but I'd like to get down to the bar just to see what it's all about!! Hawkeye I don't loose many fish unless my wife comes lol but yes every now and then we drop a good one. I think late spring early summer I'm going to run more spinny/fly-meat this year as that takes some of my best fish I really just got a handle on my program in late July so hopefully that will help earlier this year also