June 10th Chautauqua, Chapter 69 tourney

I don't understand Ur thinking kaptag, not like I'm asking u to babysit my kid. Sux u don't share the same enthusiasm as I do and maybe that's why Ur kid doesn't fish and chose a different path.

I know I'll never make everyone happy and this proves it but I have a belief that we need to leave things better than we found it and to me this is how it grows organically but don't worry Kaptag- fat boy here will eat Ur ice cream for ya!

Bty. What's wrong with family day and an ice cream social? Sounds like a good time to me but if u think this takes away from a competitive tournament, I apologize.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

First off- I think it is important to hear everyone's opinion on stuff like this.

With that being said- I don't see how encouraging kids to enter a tournament changes the format of the tournament or affects somebody fishing the tournament without a kid?

Chances are, you would only see the kids after the tournament and only in passing while on the water, so in theory, your fishing would be exactly the same. After the tournament, you would probably see the kid(s) at the cookout but you aren't obligated to spend time with them, you could shoot the breeze with others as you normally would (and get ice cream too!)

I brought 2 of my nephews last year to the tiger tourney and I don't think anyone had an issue or even really noticed they were there (although to be fair they took off midday because of other plans).

Either way, I'll bring anyone that wants to fish along with me, regardless of age, and still have a good time because it sure beats working around the house.

PS- Kudos to those of you volunteering/donating things for the raffle tables (regular & kids)! I'm hoping one day I'll be able to add to the table...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You worried you might get your butt handed to you by a 10 year old? Like said, all opinions should be welcomed but this is just selfish. Someone must have taught you the ropes a little when you were a kid. How would you feel if they felt the way you do and didn't want to be around kids?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for sharing your opinion kaptag. Personally I take no offense. I don't see any reason for any negative response. Everyone that is or would be participating should be able to voice their thoughts without a public lashing. Although my outlook is different, I'm sure the guys in charge of chapter 69 will consider each of our opinions and make a decision based on the standpoint of the majority. They have to hear our opinions for that to work. So thanks for sharing yours.

Kids these days watch muskie anglers on you tube like we watched Bill Dance every Sunday morning. In a few years they will be out there fishing next us on their own boats.
Shouldn't we show them how to respect the fisheries and other anglers now so that we all don't have to deal with uneducated "fishermen" when they are grown up? Something worth thinking about I say.

I will admit I expected backlash from my posting and I apologize for making the Ice Cream Social comment as that may have been the match that struck the fire. My ironic sense of humor will sometimes get the best of me,   I shouldn't have made that rhetorical comment as I really feel it made some of us emotionally charged forcing them to take things personally.  I know from experience when I'm emotional about a topic my heart rules the day and my common sense loses every time.

Now to address one of the three (what I consider mildly negative to downright abusive) follow-up posts to mine:  

Zach's comment:  What's wrong with family day and an ice cream social? Sounds like a good time to me but if u think this takes away from a competitive tournament, I apologize

I agree with you, I think having a family day and ice cream social sounds like a wonderful event!  You have no need to apologize for anything, it is glaringly apparent you are a very giving person.  Unfortunately, I think you may have been sufficiently angered by my initial comment you over looked the rest of my post in which I encouraged you to have a family day event!  Heck, I'd even help you organize it!  The only difference in opinion we have here is that I didn't want every every tournament to be a family event.  I will politely overlook the reference to baby-sitting your kid. As for eating my ice cream and you being a fat boy, 1st:  I'm easily 60lbs overweight making me clinically obese - I own the fat boy reference!  2nd: I've met you although you wouldn't know it being surrounded by a sea of people in Pittsburgh and you are NOT fat.  3rd:  You're probably saving me from a heart attack by eating my ice cream.   Now back to your generosity and character: although you sell your own line of lures I have witnessed you promoting other lure makers products.  That is a testament unto itself.   

A HUGE thank you to EsoxOnly for not taking offense to my post, politely disagreeing with me and at the same time showing me some support.  Guess I wasn't facing the crowd alone after all.  And for that kind sir, if you ever want to hunt rabbits behind a couple old Basset Hounds with your kids, let me know as my cousin has a dairy farm just across the tracks in Marathon and I'll take you there with my dogs!  Be advised, I'm even worse at hunting than I am at fishing and posting on BB's!

Kaptag, I look forward to meeting you at this year's events. I'd like to ask one thing of you and anyone that shares your opinion.
Please give this one chance, expirience it with the rest of us (if in fact it is decided to be allowed), and then form an opinion. A closed mind is the enemy in regards to forward progress of any kind. Good day.

29 more days until the end of winternet seasons fellas. I wonder if the pike, tigers, and walleye are counting the days....

• 1 month later...

The only thing better than catching one is watching one of your kids catch one. Four out of my five have caught a musky or tiger. This year i hope to put one of my grandkids on one. The oldest is 12 now and i just gave him his first bait caster. I'll pick the backlashes out all day to see the look on his face when he scores.

The only thing better than catching one is watching one of your kids catch one. Four out of my five have caught a musky or tiger. This year i hope to put one of my grandkids on one. The oldest is 12 now and i just gave him his first bait caster. I'll pick the backlashes out all day to see the look on his face when he scores.

[emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

New to Muskie fishing here, but I am all in. So...I am hoping to attend this as my 1st tournament. Where can I go to find out more info about the rules and such.

If I missed any of these answers in one of the previous posts I apologize in advance.
Do I need a bump board? If so where can I buy it (I am from buffalo/Chautauqua)

My boat is in the water in Asheville...do I need to drive it up to mayville for the start?

How do I register the fish I catch?

Most important...who do I give the correct spelling of my name to for the winning trophy?!?!??!!! [emoji16]

-ericmic

So there is no way anyone who intends on fishing the south end can register at Chautauqua Reel Outdoors? I understand that particular issue is out of your hands Zach but, I was just curious to see if the higher ups were even willing to budge on that??

I apologize but I am going to have to ask everyone to please come to Mayville in the am for sign up.

I know the issues this represents and hopefully this can be addressed for future dates.

Once again, I do hear and understand the issue presented but I also will be making the drive down south to fish.

New to Muskie fishing here, but I am all in. So...I am hoping to attend this as my 1st tournament. Where can I go to find out more info about the rules and such.

If I missed any of these answers in one of the previous posts I apologize in advance.

Do I need a bump board? If so where can I buy it (I am from buffalo/Chautauqua)

My boat is in the water in Asheville...do I need to drive it up to mayville for the start?

How do I register the fish I catch?

Most important...who do I give the correct spelling of my name to for the winning trophy?!?!??!!! [emoji16]

-ericmic

As for registering fish, I will provide tournament pins for this event and each fish entered must be pictured with the release pin and a release form filled out which will also be provided to you the morning of the event. If it was me, I'd just drive to mayville and keep the boat down south sir.

Thanks for the interest and I know this could go smoother but we all live and learn as we go and being a rookie at this position has proved challenging to say the least.

I have just posted the revised tournament rules for the team format on the Chapter 69 website for those of you who would like to read them ahead of time or download them. This is revised a little over the rules that will be handed out just to clarify a few things.

1) added "Teams Format" to heading.

2) Under "General Regulations and Responsibilities" in item c) "A team consists of all contestants aboard a participating boat" was added.

3) And also, for big fish pool the following was added:

Under "Prizes, Scoring and Measurement of the Release", item  "f) If there is a big fish pool, all team members on a boat must be in it to participate" was added.

Here is a link to the rules.

Also, just to be sure everyone is aware, winners for the Chautauqua Tournament will be determined using the three longest fish caught by each team.

I just remembered and added one more item to the rules that was previously decided on.

Under "General Regulations and Responsibilities", added under item c), ii) There is a limit of 6 rods per boat (team) but no limit of team members on the boat.