If you are using flashers or dodgers, you are going to catch a few here and there.  Cowbells trolled very slow within 5' of the bottom is the most effective way to catch lake trout. 

• 2 months later...

IMG_4500.JPG

Well I'm a believer. Did some testing on Lake Trout today on Lake Huron (after no success with Kings early AM). Ran 4 leadcore lines on boards with spoons, and two downrigger lines off the back. We bounced downrigger balls off the bottom on a 110 FOW flat, and ran two spin and glow set-ups 12 feet back. One side had a standard green spin and glow with a trash can dodger. The other side had a Gambler Green Monster Magnum Spin and Glow with Confusion 5/0 cowbells. In less than 2 hours we caught 5 lakers on the Gambler rig and 3 on the standard set-up. Nothing on the leadcore. I like the fact that the cowbells don't pull very hard, as compared to some old school cowbells I use. Hook rate was 100%. Very foggy this morning with rollers, 50 Yd visability.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice job LakerTaker! How fast were you trolling with both different rigs out?

Sorry, I forgot to mention the speed. 1.8 to 2.2. Tried to stay around 1.8. Constant speed was difficult in the fog with no frame of reference (due to the waves). Had to really focus on the GPS and compass. Ran a sock from time to time to slow things down.

My lone laker came today off a pink dot gambler rig. Canandaigua lake 100 foot of water 87 deep on rigger. Small laker but glad to have the chance looked good and healthy tho. 1.9 mph going to get more bags tomorrow to try and slow down more.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ok, so if I am on Lake Ontario, and strike out with Salmon so I want to try for Lakers to save the day, what depth should I troll at? I see I need to be on the bottom, but, as a starting point, what fow is a good place to start? I have never seen any fish on the bottom on my screen after trolling hundreds of miles the last two summers.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ok, so if I am on Lake Ontario, and strike out with Salmon so I want to try for Lakers to save the day, what depth should I troll at? I see I need to be on the bottom, but, as a starting point, what fow is a good place to start? I have never seen any fish on the bottom on my screen after trolling hundreds of miles the last two summers.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Generally you want to find wide flat spots in the bottom contour. The contour lines on your GPS map, if you use one, will be really far apart. This presents the best situation to touch bottom with your downrigger balls. I generally target 70 to 120 FOW. It's even better if you can find a flat that drops deeper right next to it. That's where you might pick up a 10+ pound laker. I fish on Lake Huron, but assume the same technique could be used on Lake O.

thanks I will try that. yes I can see those types of spots on my fishfinder which has charts.

You are welcome. Creating flash is key. Big flashers, dodgers, or cowbells with a spin n glow or peanut about 10 to 15 feet behind your ball and bounce the bottom. Let your rigger go till it touches, then you can either lift it a short click on your 'up' switch or let it stay there and bounce. Flash is almost more important than what is on the end of your line, as lakers are attracted to schools of baitfish. The spin n glow is an added bonus for them when they come in to check it out. Lakers are short biters, they don't necessarily demolish a lure like salmon do, that's why the Gambler design works so well. The 6 lakers I kept on Friday had nothing in their stomachs!!! I was expecting to see smelt.