Kring's Point Ice

Kevin J Legg

Hard to believe the river was wide open a month ago and now looking out toward Canada there is ice as far as the eye can see. With cold nights forecast for the next week I don't think boats will have access and I certainly wouldn't trust the ice. Hope the perch are around when the ice decides to leaves.IMG_1490028318.073053.thumb.jpg.11babec84fb8699120754e680c1886c0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Kevin it seemed weird to see all the ice we drove all over sat. checking things out LOI had open spots in middle no one fishing, eel bay was also a spot that had open water there was three brave souls fishing. I didn't talk to any one though to see how the bite was then went to krings was shocked to see how far out toward the channel was froze . I would think if we could get some sun and some 40 degree days that ice will go quick. I went to paynes with a spud yesterday just to see how much ice there not good. First 2 inches crust snow 4 to 5 inches of slush and water one a good wack through 1 to 1 1/2 black ice not worth it.

I knew we were going to pay for the early fishing on the lake!! Now here we are, still a little early, but hopfully this warmer week will put a big dent into it.

Last year about this time a saw two good size guys go over in a 12ft car topper there in about 10ft of water. Some guys working on a island and some other boat fishermen were quick to get to them. Of course, their PFD's floated nicely away from them.

It only takes a second!! Get a vest you are comfortable wearing, especially in small boats, and use it.

Fished three times in the last week and caught over a pail of perch each outing. Lots of throw backs but also some over 12". Froze up 15 packages this morning. Today some of them were already spawned out so the bite won't last.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United