Finger Lakes Crayfish?

Finger Lakes Crayfish?

Hello All,

This winter I got intrigued by some videos put out by these guys on YouTube, who are avid crayfish enthusiasts.  They live in the American southwest, and catch excellent numbers of big crayfish using traps (the kind that resemble minnow traps).  The videos are entertaining, and the feasts they have look delicious.

I have caught crayfish in the northeast to cook and eat, and found that they do taste good.  I always wondered why eating crayfish is not a thing if you don't live in the south.  Maybe it's because ours are smaller, or less plentiful, or our water quality is sometimes an issue.  But I can think of a few places in NY where I have seen very big ones.

That got me thinking about the Finger Lakes.  Rocky bottoms, decent water quality.  I could throw some traps out in the morning, go trolling or jigging for trout, and pick up my traps at the end of the day.  I wonder if any of you have some idea of the population or size of the crayfish that live in the finger lakes?  It could turn into another foodie adventure!

Pete Collin

Edited by Pete Collin

I can't tell from that picture, but I caught rusty crayfish in Owasco last year. These are another invasive species in the lake and can be very bad news for the natural balance of the food web in a system. Good news is that they are plentiful and many species of game fish eat them, especially Bass. Lakers & bows will eat them when water temps allow the trout to access the shallows where the crayfish live. Rusty Crayfish are easy to id by a marking on there side that looks like a red fingerprint right where you'd put your fingers to safely pick one up without being pinched

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would try more then one spot. Some real monsters on Cayuga. Problem is they're really not that plentiful anymore. Use to see a lot at Dean's cove sun bathing on the rocks and find them under rocks. Looks for some last year.... Found 1 out probably 100 rocks... Gobies might have something to do with the population.

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...