Catch and Release?

It's not hard to find people talking about a 20, 30, or 40+ fish day on Lake O. I'm sure some of these are on boats where there's enough licenses to keep 20+ fish but it seems that a lot of people are releasing fish too.

I have yet to releas a cold water species before but lots of the fish I caught on Lake Michigan last year were plenty lively at the boat. However, ive caught Lakers on inland lakes 100 feet down that were definitely not able to be released when they made it to the top.

I try to be a responsible conservationist so I would like tips on how to decide which fish are eligible for release and any special techniques to handle (or not handle) and release them properly, if its even ever a viable option. I love to eat fresh fish but I'm all for releasing some to catch another day if I can do it safely for the fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you are bring a laker up from the deep it is a good idea to take your time so that they can burp out air to equalize their pressure. 

For all fish try to handle them as little as possible if you want to release them. I have a net with a large enough basket that I can keep the fiah in the water  most of the time. 

If you can use barb less hooks it helps a lot for making lure removable easier.

I use a lip grip on a rope that I tie off to the side of the boat to allow the fish to reviev. If you are trolling fast you will need to slow down a little till the fish is ready to go. With salmon, rainbows and Browns they are easier to tell when they are good to go. But lakers can be lazy and can be harder to tell if the are recovered. 

Can't release them all thought some times they just won't make it. But usually with care and patience you can release most fish. 

Good luck

I've had plenty of Lakers go down with plenty of vigor, if caught in 100 fow or less, or if properly burped and put in head first like gambler says, even in much deeper water. Hold them next to the boat to revive and let go when they are strong if you aren't sure

The Fishin' Physician Assistant
Fishsodusbay.com

In the spring, fish release pretty well as a result of the generally cold water temps. Once the lake sets up and transitions into the dog days of summer, its hard to get a fish to revive in 70 degree water, let alone break through 50' of it to reach cooler water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Makes sense

How do you go about burping a lake trout?

Never put your fingers in the gill area or hold them vertically that way if intending to release it and try to keep the fish as horizontal as possible before releasing it.

Edited by Sk8man

LOL King I hate tomatoes  :puke: but I like them other than raw!! What type of devise is it that these charter guys tow the fish? It has like a claw in the front they tie a rope to it and rope the devise to a rod holder then they go back and the fish is well and alive.

Edited by pap

Makes sense

How do you go about burping a lake trout?

Flip them on their back, lightly squeeze the belly and slide you hand up towards its head. It will push the air out unless they are not blown up too bad. If the are rock hard, they go in the cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, pap said:

LOL King I hate tomatoes  :puke: but I like them other than raw!! What type of devise is it that these charter guys tow the fish? It has like a claw in the front they tie a rope to it and rope the devise to a rod holder then they go back and the fish is well and alive.

Most if not all are called Boga or Bogo Grips. I believe that is the name of the original MFG and they are all now called by that name. 

Edited by Bozeman Bob