Umbrella rigs - Do they work

Umbrella rigs - Do they work

I know there are several different types of Umbrella rigs out there and some for certain species, just wondering how they work out there on Lake Ontario for trout, Salmon,

anybody using them and how many leaders or lures can you run off them. All response's appreciated.

They can be more trouble than they are worth in my view. I have used them on Seneca for lake trout.  You really don't want to use leaders on them. Many of them are set for 5 lures and you can attach the lure directly to the snaps on the umbrella or very short leaders at most. 5 lures with trebles. If you use leaders they usually tangle together when trolling at normal speed. The rigs are actiually better for drifting with live bait on short staggered leaders. I don't think I'd care to have multiple chinooks going different directions on one:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Yes, those stinger umbrella rigs catch big Lakers here on Lake Michigan. Spoons or spin-n-glos behind them seems to be most popular over here. Not too different than the old six packs or schoolies which I have had success running spoons around 3' behind as well.

I've used them for stripers, blue fish, salmon and lakers. But I never put more than one treble hook on them. The way they are supposed to work is with up to 12 healthy looking baitfish (Plastics) and right in the center directly behind the line, one that is farther back and looking bloodied and limping. That one has the treble. It is always the one that gets the hits. You have to troll it with a big thumper flasher so your rod looks like it is a thumper rod mimicking the school speeding up and slowing down. They are deadly when properly used. They sometimes become a mess in storage, but in the water they are usually quite streamlined.

I have also run them as rolmops described but in salt water not for lakers that way. What I found was that because I was initially running them way down deep that the lakers were grabbing plastic (no hooks) much of the time as they probably aren't able to see them down there like when they are more suspended in salt water. I started putting all hooked baits and it stopped happening but they also were caught on other than the center trailer bait then. I sholud also add that when I used peanuts behind them I only caught the smaller lakers....may have been coincidental but it happened.

Edited by Sk8man

• 1 month later...

I tried them with no success last year, and had some of the tangle problems. But, now I found a more streamlined holgraph attracter rig from bass pro that I will try, if it ever stops raining. It seems to be a good concept, and I did not spend alot of time with them, just a trial run.

Ok ,thanks for the info,this weather is crazy,I got out once 2 weeks ago.If you recall the exact name of that rig pass it along would like to take at look at it.Thanks

• 1 month later...