Boat stringers

cuttermag

Not sure of the going rate anymore, but will give an A+ to Krenzer Marine at Sodus Point. They did mine a few years back with great results. Can't remember the $$$, but was in the lower range of everyone else.

Believe I know! I'm very scared!! We are kicking around the idea of splitting the hull in half to get to everything. Not even sure it's possible or worth it but would make life a bit easier, rather than glassing the whole floor back. I think that his! [emoji36] [emoji33] [emoji22]

If your not a do it yourself type, I don't see the cost offset the idea of just admitting defeat and move on to a newer vessel. 10-15 thousand can buy you a hell of nice boat. Or you can spend 10 grand and your still in a mid 80's-90's vessel that's book value is 0 so it's what you think it's worth. You can't go by a monetary value at this point!! It's really what you think it's worth. But I say the technology in newer boats is way better than the older boats, some will argue this point, they don't make them like they used to. My father and I were sitting in a dinner, and these older guys were complaining about the tires on the newer car and they said they don't make them like they used to!! My father replied THANK GOD!! You guys remember driving in the winter with the older skinny tires in the 30-40's yea, well what happened?? The ruts in the roads peeled the tires off the wheel and there you sat!! My father asked when was the last time you guys changed a tire?? No reply. Get my drift he says. So I personally would think about your power plant also, motor technology has made leaps and bounds since the early 90's. So there's lots to be considered!!! I'd put it all on the table remember your boat is already fully rigged so all of the cost of the repair would be going towards the boat itself. Something to think about!!

cuttermag I did mine about 3 years ago in a baha cruiser cost was about $4000 thought west marine would have sent me a Christmas card or something but all kidding aside it is a dirty job like stated above and it will take you most of the summer working hard on weekends  ...  I live in Gouldsboro and would be happy to stop over and have a look !! good luck Paul

Good point jimski2.. I was lucky (if you want to call it that) and the rot stopped at a cross member about 4ft short of the motor mounts not sure how the Thompson is set up ... I have moved on to aluminum so I can fish Erie (sturgeon point and Barcelona)   and have fished point breeze for 10 days in May for the last 15 years

I did my own, complete replacement including stringers, bulkheads, transom, and floor. Used exterior plywood to make all of it. Laminated with layers of fiberglas and epoxy resin. Got the boat (19 foot caravelle) for  $150. Lots of work, took 1 1/2 months working 2-3 partial  (but 6-8 hours) days a week. Cost was about $1000-1500. I have lots of pictures I can share. You will need coveralls, filtered mask, goggles, gloves, angle grinder, lots of sandpaper/fiber disks.