leaders, crimps, snaps and such.....

What knot do you use for heavy fluro ? For my surf leaders with 50lb mono I use a 3 turn clinch. That's why i was thinking about going with crimps because I use heavy stuff in surf and for shark leaders I have been closing crimps with a hammer. A lot if the stripper guys on the surf are running crimped gear. I thought maybe it would be good for musky leaders too.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I run 80lb fluorocarbon for most of my crankbait trolling, tied with a palomar knot. Otherwise if im trolling big fish water like the larry or gbay i'll use wire or heavier stealth tackle fluoro leaders. For me, alot depends on where i am, what baits im using, casting, trolling, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'll echo that my leaders vary based on baits, water, etc. but for the most part it's stealth 274 lbs wire leaders or 170lbs fluoro leaders with various sized stay-lok snaps depending on the size of baits i'm using -  for the really little stuff I will use the small bait leaders from stealth.

I've tied my own leaders with 150lbs fluoro using the dubros nail knot tool but lately i've found it easier to just order the leaders...if you're on facebook look up Charlie Runyon - he ties leaders that are the same quality as stealth and his prices are awesome...I think it's like $3-4 per leader all the way up to 170 lbs fluoro material. 

I don't fish for those big bad guys but do any of you use titanium wire or nickel/titanium? Strong as heck, doesn't corrode, doesn't rust, thinner diameter for the pound test than steel, harder to bite through etc.Just wondering....haven't heard anyone mention it. I've used it in salt water with good results and for pike.

Edited by Sk8man

I've heard through other internet discussions (take this as you will) that due to the properties of titanium, repetitious bending can cause breakage/failure with no warning. Steel that sees the same bending will show kinks/deformation and you know it needs attention/replacement. I'm not sure how true that is but it was enough to scare me off from titanium...

I'd rather see bends and kinks in the steel after contact so I know if the leader has any life left in it, I'd hate to forget how much action a leader has and have a failure.

Sk8man- using them in saltwater and for pike, have you seen this with titanium at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Admittedly I've only used it a few times with blues etc. in saltwater with no problems and I don't do whole lot of pike fishing lately but I haven't had any problems with it. It could be a possibility as titanium is very hard and also very brittle but I guarantee nothing is going bite through it:lol:.. It is a material used primarily in applications where high heat is involved (aircraft engines, bearing races for submarine engines and that sort of thing where high tensile strength and light weight is necessary) but your point about bending affecting it is a possibility I guess.

Edited by Sk8man

I buy spools of wire from lure parts online for 4 bucks so that way u can replace em n it's no issue for my casting leaders. A spool of 80lb flouro for trolling leaders, Too heavy of line for trolling n tough to tie knots. To each their own but this way is cheapest for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, zach said:

I buy spools of wire from lure parts online for 4 bucks so that way u can replace em n it's no issue for my casting leaders. A spool of 80lb flouro for trolling leaders, Too heavy of line for trolling n tough to tie knots. To each their own but this way is cheapest for me.

what wire do you use for you casting leaders? do you use one of those tools to make the twists?  

i found 2 tools. one makes a haywire twist while the other shows a barrel wrap.

Edited by bobcat

I'll go take a pic, I use jewelry pliers for the bend on wire and if the lure doesn't spin then imo, the casting leader doesn't need a swivel. My jerkbait leaders r just a piece of wire (always make sure Ur casting leaders is a few inches longer than Ur lure so if it hangs on the hooks, Ur main line won't fray) and a snap. A swivel will cause Ur leader to sink when the bait is paused hanging up in the hooks.

So, this is 240lb single strand. I get around 20 leaders made outta a 4 dollar pack of wire, do the math (it's cheap).

I use jewelry pliers from Michaels to do my bends and it works well imo.

Here's some pics of how I do it and all I need to do is add a snap on one end for my jerkbait leaders but if u wanted , just add a swivel for a bucktail leader on one side n a snap on the other. This way, when a leader is bent or weakened, 50 cents and 1 min later Ur back in the game.

I will say it again, just make sure Ur leader is longer than Ur lure.

Flouro 80lb which r my trolling leaders - i just use a clinch knot with 4 turns, add a drop of super glue and burn the tag end so it mushrooms. Easy and is why I will NEVER pay for another leader in my life.

Ideally I'd nail knot it but I've never had an issue and it let's me make leaders on the fly.

I hope I helped a lil but if ya need a few leaders, happy to bring a few for ya when I go to otisco.