leaders, crimps, snaps and such.....

I don't fish for those big bad guys but do any of you use titanium wire or nickel/titanium? Strong as heck, doesn't corrode, doesn't rust, thinner diameter for the pound test than steel, harder to bite through etc.Just wondering....haven't heard anyone mention it. I've used it in salt water with good results and for pike.

Since titanium can't be bent like normal wire, u have to rely on crimps and is why I won't use them. Crimps fail, plain n simple. If it hasn't happened to you yet, just give it time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For smaller baits, use lighter wire but leave off the swivel unless the lure spins like a spoon or spinner. I've seen others use a solid round ring on one end of their leader to tie to but I've never had an issue tying directly to the wire.

Thanks for the pics and replies! This helps a lot. I plan on trying a bunch of stuff and see what i like. Will that stuff work with smaller jerk baits like bass style husky jerks or would it be too heavy?  

Sent from my LG-H820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

These single stand wire leaders in lighter wire would be perfect for those smaller baits imo.

And your very welcome, anything I can do to help! Happy to do so.

• 2 months later...
29 minutes ago, prayingmantis said:

500-0.jpg
This is the Rapala duo lock snap. IMO it is weaker than the twin lock but is  balanced and rounded nice to allow for more natural action for small crankbaits (bass and smaller). The twin lock is stronger and less susceptible to opening by accident but not balanced and rounded as nice as the duo lock. The stay lock is best for strength and staying locked and with musky baits, will not affect action. Although they are a little cumbersome to open and close. And of course these are all better than the ones with the piece of sheet (spell it how you like) metal.

How long do you guys that troll flouro leaders make them? Zach I picked up the jewelry pliers and will make the steel leaders like you show. How long do you recommend those be?
Thanks
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Trolling leaders are long but for casting leaders, just make sure Ur leader is a few inches longer than your bait, this way if the back hooks wrap around your line on a cast or tangle your main line is not compromised.

For the past 30 years or so I have been using this little gizmo from Jann's Netcraft for many purposes relating to wire use. It is very handy and despite its price is worth the money in terms of what you get out of it in my opinion.  http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/wire-forming-tools/041571000006.aspx