Holes in sides (Gunwales) how to cover?

garrymny

Holes in sides (Gunwales) how to cover?

My old boat has lots of Holes in the top rail- sides (Gunwales), from mounting things and removing them over the years. Any ideas on how to cover them? If I plug with putty, I would still have to paint. The entire boat should be painted anyways but I have no idea how to do that when it is on a trailer.

if boat is glass use a glass putty like core bond to fill if aluminum use a liquid steal two part epoxy then lightly sand and clean with acetone then use roll on bed liner like rhino liner .You can buy it at like vip or online and pick the color you want it works great i refinished the hole  top deck of a 30 ft boat this way that had holes and gell coat cracks every were and came out very nice.

great ideas guys. It is fiberglas. I will ponder this. I like the patch and rino liner, as well as the tread stuff. The cannon track is too pricey, and I have a big jon rigger and a riveiera so, would work probably.

I build custom aluminum plates and brackets with neoprene inserts to mate against fiberglass. Plates mount to existing holes while affording new mounting options on top.

The plates for tracks also supply rigidity and spread the load. Jason