Best spoon box????

2 hours ago, ERABBIT said:

Sweet idea thanks , may use a piece of foam , cut lines for spoon to slide in. 

Thats exactly my thoughts also, especially with a single row of those grates for 2 3/8 eye spoons!! 

3 hours ago, ERABBIT said:

Sweet idea thanks , may use a piece of foam , cut lines for spoon to slide in. 

I bought some of those spoon boxes with the slits in the foam...I thought they took up too much floor space and frankly weren't adequate for the quantity of spoons I have.  

4 minutes ago, ERABBIT said:

I have them also liked them but we're only good for small spoons , this box would be deeper and you could customize the slits to fit the most spoons....

I agree ERABBIT but on  my 18 foot Starcraft, the box still takes up too much floor space...I still have the earliest version of the special mate (large floor space taker and awful if you flip it!) so this year I'm going to try the Amish Spoon Packs.

pap -

You can definitely make it work for your walleye spoons.  I have several 3" Stingers in the box and they are fine.  A few things to consider when making it:  You want to make sure you use enough layers of grid material to allow the spoon to sit far enough in the slot to stay upright.  Also, the smaller, thinner spoons may slide right through the hole if too many grids are used and put into a deep case.  You can either off-set a row of tray by 1/2 a hole so there is something to stop them or attach a single layer of grid to your slotted foam.  This way they are in the foam but still separated and won't tip sideways.  As for a case, make sure to use one that when closed, it is pretty close to the top of your spoons, this will keep them from coming out if and when mean old Mr. Gravity does his thing !!  My spoon box when closed can be turned upside down and none of them will come out of the grid holes.  Good Luck

Thanks yea I like the idea of the half lap idea that might work for 2 spoons in 1 slot if I put that foam that the soon will push into. Probable could find that foam at a craft store AC Moor or Michaels, ect. Glue the foam down, than lay them 1/2 off set in case I need to cut both get the half lap theory going, I'll give this a whirl let you know. OfficeMax has better quality boxes, my wife's a school teacher, we always end up at OfficeMax even though it tad more exspensive 

Ok I finished mine today..it securely holds twice as many spoons as the original foam bottem box. I used a soldering iron with the hot knife attachment and epoxy 4 layers of the plastic cut into square spacers between the 2 layers...also I us0331171918.jpg0331171944a.jpg0331171943.jpg0331171943.jpg0331171944a.jpg0331171918.jpg0331171918.jpg0331171918.jpged 4 squares underneath the whole thing so the spoons don't bottem out on the box..and a space for the large 8" spoons on the side...thanks again for the idea couple hours of work and double the space..

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't know about others, but I have a small selection of "Stud Baits" that I consider my starting lineup each trip out. It changes from trip to trip, but in most cases, it's the same dozen or so lures that get run first. As a small boat fisherman with storage space at a premium, I've been keeping my "go to " baits in smaller, easier to store containers.  I love these boxes! ... the best storage idea I've seen in years.

Super Slims and Bay Rats

IMG_0581.thumb.JPG.cb170b25958f5d43dcb8c59863d3864b.JPG

Edited by J.D.

I can't wait to construct this box!! I need to wait till my wife and daughters leave for school, if she see's how many spoons I have she'll go off the deep end for sure :lol: because I always bust on her about the 110 pairs of shoes she has, this usually happens when we are at Dicks Sporting Goods, they usually have good deals on lures and stuff. So when I put 5-10 lures on the counter, I usually hear the same old shyt, how many lures to you need?? I tell her about as many as you have shoes and handbags or pursesLOL that usually clams her up, but she's catching one. Very nice on the box well thought out and organized. How deep of box did you get to compensate for the foam. And what type of foam did use the harder crispy kind to hold the spoons, then you just have to put the spoon back in the same way?? Thanks for any input!!   PAP

The homemade spoon box is a 14 x 11 and 5” deep (8.1 L) case called a “Really Useful Box” which I purchased at Office Max for about $12.00.  They have several different sizes and depths on their website too.  The box on my post will hold any brand (NK, Michigan Stinger, Moonshine, etc.…) 4” or less.  If you want it to hold your Mag spoons, I suggest you buy a deeper case which they do sell.  As for the inside, I went to the orange big-box store and purchased a 4 x 2 sheet of Plaskolite fluorescent light cover for about 15.00. (Some call them an egg crate light cover). Measured the inside of the case I had and then very easily cut the egg crate to size with just a hack-saw blade but a jigsaw may work well too.  Mine after cutting had 18 x 14 holes giving you 252 spaces for spoons.  I cut 6 of these the same size and then just placed a few drops of glue randomly on each tray and stacked them together.  Let the glue dry, toss into your case, and load up all your spoons.  The initial cost was about $27.00 but if you do more than one box, you will not need to purchase another sheet of the plastic light cover because you would probably get another 2-3 cases made from this one sheet.  So the next few boxes would only cost you $12.00, the purchase of the “Really Useful Box” case or whatever case you decide to use.  I will post a picture of the tray material and a better view of the trays completed so you can get a better idea of what they look like.  Good Luck.  I hope you can post a picture of your own if you decide to make one, they are not that hard to do and I’d like to see them. - Tom

58daf2bbc5a13_TrayPic.thumb.JPG.da55e0e972bf5b33db17ffd4fa351cd7.JPG58daf2973fe9c_TrayMaterial.thumb.JPG.295570b915c21d2f45ba94827354bc5c.JPG

Office Max right now buy 2 get 1 free, not sure if I have 750 lures lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I made 2 smaller boxes up with these grates inside.  One for smaller spoons and one for my larger ones. I'm limited on space with a 16 foot boat so this will make storage easier. It's the best idea in spoon storage that I've seen, thank you for the tip!

Well I finished up this great idea of a spoon box, definatly a $$$ saver, would have been in the mid to upper $20's but I went to Michaels for the foam and they raped me $9.00 a peice, where my wife says you could of went the dollar general and paid less for two than you did for one, :envy: yea, that's my luck the spoons in the box are just ones I had acquired from the Brewerton show and the Seneca show, plus what I gathered up over the winter. I left every other hole open to fit the spoons I have in boxes in the cuddy, I think I'm going to build another, only because I know what's in the boat yet.:tmi:image.thumb.jpeg.49432b81b66b2697c22ee2fa61a3da01.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.d1fb2e62dfc3d16312ba21160b252c1c.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.964c6265249f085f3f232d761373a2ab.jpg

Thanks guys, and tds840 the smaller ones are stinger walleye size so they fit with no modification!! So I know the rest of my eye spoons will fit also. To be honest I think all the 2 3/8 spoons will fit, so Nicks from Hybrid lures spoons will fit also, that's a major importance to me anyway!!!