Difficult to make quality torpedo weights without quality lead.

Xxx

LETS HELP OUT OUR BEST RIGGER WEIGHT GUY OUT THERE!!    HAEVEY NEEDS OUR HELP  :handshake:

Hey guys I talked to Harvey O' Harra for a long time yesterday, Harvey is a genuine as it gets!! He's is also very particular with the type of lead he uses!! He explained to me that soft lead is hard to find unless you have scrap yards and other guys looking for ya. I could tell he doesn't want to rais his prices, to keep his customers happy. He's old school guy, understands every dollar doesn't come easy in today's word. Yet the others are charging their price and the guys aren't batting an eye!! So I was wondering if those of you that may have some lead laying around or know of a source that's willing to sell at a reasonable price. Like the scrap yards around my end of town have good lead up the ass but getting it to Harvey is were the cost comes into play, along with the "actuall price" itself. The easiest thing to do is accept a bump in price so he can continue to make his quality weights. So I was wondering how many of you guys that use Harvey's weights would continue to use him if he had to raise his price? Which he solely does not want to do. I did this totally on my own, not influenced by Harvey in any way. But to be able to still get what I think is a great product, that most of us can afford to buy 2 of. If push came to shove would folks that use his weights, still support Harvey's torpedo weights and his smaller weights he sells for other means of fishing?? If we could show a good amount of support for Harvey, this would relieve a lot of stress off his shoulders. He also mentioned the LOU guys have been very good to him!! So let's show our support for Harvey's weights in a way that he knows his Buisness will continue if a raise in price would be the last resort to keep these quality weights coming in our direction!!   Thanks for taking the time to read this and maybe a pm or a little something shown towards Harvey would be great!!!  :handshake:   Thanks again PAP.

Edited by pap

I feel the same Firechief!! The price is right also!! Plain weight without all the glitter, just flat black. For the fisherman that want two that won't break the bank!! Thanks for your support.   PAP

Have him contact dental offices.  If the Dentist has not gone to digital X-rays then they have a collection of small-soft lead backings to used X-rays.  They will give these away.

Like others have said prices go up. They are great weights and great service so I would not have an issue with the price going up.

I would rather his go up to keep him happy then for him to stop making them.

Edited by dukhnter8

All is good info guys!! I feel the same!! Harvey can get the lead he needs just not at the prices that the weights are!! Just for example 

he use to get at .3 cents a pound which was very good. Then it went to .5 cents a pound, still made money. But now is jumped to .9 cents a pound now it's costing him money to make the torpedos. This is just a example!!!.

Harvey's prices are fair and he makes  a good product AND he is one of US:) I bought 4 of his Seth Green weights the other day and I was wondering how he could make much on them at the price he charged. I don't think that anyone who is familiar with him or his products should object to a fair bump in price given the fact that he isn'tr charging a high price to begin with.  American made and a LOU guy I think that should be enough in itself to support his small business:)

I have no problem with a raise in price for Harveys weights. Better quality than others that cost nearly twice as much! Great product and fast shipping! Metal prices fluctuate and just as I am in business with trucking, fuel goes up, rates go up. I still have a profit margin to maintain, or there would be a hardship and no reason to do it anymore.
I wouldn't want to see quality products from Harvey disappear, or cause hardship to continue his great products.
Nothing in this world ever seems to continue on an even keel. I'm sure his competition is experiencing the same rise in costs. The equation still falls on our benefit to help Harvey!
Keep on molding those weights Harvey!
Mark

cent frum my notso smartphone

stoneam2006-  Here is a pic of one of the 40 ounce weights I purchased from Harvey at the Watkins Glen show:

A Seth Green rig is a multileader/lure setup (up to 5 leaders/lures per rod and 15 hook points per rod permitted currently) for fishing various depths art the same time. A heavy sinker is needed to keep the leaders down when trolled. The weights usually vary from 24 - 48 ounces.  There have been very detailed postings on here in the past  that may be consulted for details. The depicted weight came as plain lead when bought I coated it with black Plasti-Dip to prevent marking up my boat and to prevent handling the lead directly relative to health concerns.

40ozweight.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

stoneam2006-  Here is a pic of one of the 40 ounce weights I purchased from Harvey at the Watkins Glen show:

A Seth Green rig is a multileader/lure setup (up to 5 leaders/lures per rod and 15 hook points per rod permitted currently) for fishing various depths art the same time. A heavy sinker is needed to keep the leaders down when trolled. The weights usually vary from 24 - 48 ounces.  There have been very detailed postings on here in the past  that may be consulted for details. The depicted weight came as plain lead when bought I coated it with black Plasti-Dip to prevent marking up my boat and to prevent handling the lead directly relative to health concerns.
40ozweight.thumb.jpg.766c7c060f87496515c3c65fa10251d9.jpg

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely.  If the price needs to go up, it needs to go up.  

On another note, I am frequently in Watkins Glen to fish seneca or just hang out at the lake with friends that own a home there.  If PAP knows of a local place to get good lead, I would have no problem picking it up and bringing it to Harvey the next time im headed to Seneca.  I will be going for the lake trout derby so let me know Harvey/PAP.  PM me for my cell if you need it.

Jim

1 hour ago, SmellsLikeFishNH said:

Anyone have a phone number for Harvey? Trying to get in touch with him about some weights he was going to send to me. He doesn't seem to be checking his messages here. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

607-535-2390  

• 1 month later...

Yes they do Garrymny, but there is to much tin in tire weights. Plus without any reply from the manufacturer of these weights, I have exhausted my efforts to go any further. I took this situation under my wing without consulting the manufacturer. This was his conversation with me at the Seneca show, I thought I'd try to help out. I'm out!!

A lot of the old sail boats had lead in there keels. The bigger sale boats had several hundred pounds. This might be a good place to look??
Any old sailboats setting around.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United