Barbless Fly Rigs

Barbless Fly Rigs

I would love to know how many of you would purchase Barbless Fly Rigs if they were available? (Maybe they are but I've not seen them.) I pull a boat 700 miles a few times every year to fish out off Sodus Pt. I have invested tens of thousands of dollars totaling well into the hundreds of thousands. One thing that I struggle with every year is releasing fish I do not want to kill and eat. Whether they be Browns or Laker's, Kings or Atlantic's, many times they hit the box when they just aren't needed. I would be interested in doing any option that would increase a survival rate. Nothing is perfect but any efforts that would increase a survival release rate would make me much happier. I love this fishery as I know must if not all of you do. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Len

They are easily available. Just take a pair of plyers and squeeze the barb flush to the metal. They either break of or they just stay where you squeezed them to.

Edited by rolmops

With all due respect, and I mean that, I don't fully agree. Crimping the barb is a major stress point on the hook. Break one point out of four and start over, break a barb and you have a jagged edge. Barbless hooks penetrate easier and back out much easier. I've seen reviews where a high percentage of so called crimped barbs are not perfectly flattened to the hook causing an offset to the left or right negating any benefit to the crimping in the first place. As for water temperature, much can be debated. I have held fish in a Boca grip that were not torn up by the hooks and felt comfortable they had a good chance while watching them swim off. It takes a while, sometimes a minute or more and that's not easy leaning over the gunnel trying not to swim with the fish but it does work a lot of the time. Again I appreciate your responses but I will say I would enjoy the opportunity to have barbless fly rigs. Now all I have to do is get Tom Allen to agree and make them available. Just wondering if anyone else would support the effort.

Len

Mudflat,

That is a great Idea. Now I just have to find barbless hooks which I am going to try. A-Tom-Mik also said if I can find the hooks they would tie them. Great people as always. I was not sure how to tie them and I appreciate the link. I will start. Where are you in NE Pa? I'm originally from Scranton.....We Are....