Wire with braid backing

Wire with braid backing

Went to the garage sale a couple of weeks ago at Point Pleasant I think it was in Irond.  Anyways lucked out on a couple of Catalina 30's lc's. for a very good price for both.  Cleaned them up and voila, like new(well almost).  Point being is that the Catalina Series are about my all time favorite reels.  Holy Mackerel turned me on to them when I started fishing the lake about 5 yrs ago.  He gave me a level wind 25 that I used on my riggers and it took me about 3 years to find a matching one.   So in Dec. or Jan I also picked up some Torpedo wire 19strand, new spool for cheap.  I want to split it between the two Catalina's.  How much and what type of backing to use.  I want 500' of wire on both reels.  Any advice and help is appreciated.  Probably could have just asked that without all the background, but well, never mind!  thanks

PS  I could just put the full spool on one and buy another 1000' but that stuff is expensive!

A couple things come to mind right off the bat:

1. Do you intend to use these reels for dipseys?

2. Will the reels actually hold 1,000 ft of 19 strand wire?

If so regarding both- I would suggest using 1,000 ft of the wire on the two setups as 500 ft of wire will not do the job for the most part as you may have out close to that much in the summer time just getting the dipsey where it needs ro be. Most guys do not use substantial if any backing with the wire because with wire unlike copper or leadcore you do not normally run all the wire out and then use the backing so you want enough wiret to do the job. If you went with 500 ft of wire you could get spooled by a good king and with 1,000ft. you shouldn't have to worry about backing etc.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm gonna run these with the Chinook divers I picked up.  About the max. wire I've had out on my 30 Convectors is right around 400' give or take.  The Chinook divers are way more efficient at reaching depth than the regular divers I use.  So I figure 500 of torpedo and whatever else in backing of braid on the rest of the reel.  Just don't what poundage of braid to use or how much to use with the 500' of torpedo wire.  I know on my Convectors and the Magda's I used to run 1000' of 7 strand just about filled'em up.  If need be I'll bit the bullett and just get another spool of torpedo.  thanks

I wouldn't use anything lighter than 50lb power pro for backing and I would rather just go with 1000' of wire.

1- if you cut back or "lose" any of your wire 500' won't be enough so you end up replacing it all

2- if your backing breaks or knot fails you lose all your wire, a dipsy, a paddle and a fly  - ouch!

3- do you really want to worry about the backing and the knot when you have "that fish" on?

4- how much are you really going to save between 1000' of wire and braid backing anyway?

Pay me now or pay me later, just one man's opinion