I pulled the trigger. I bought a Fish hawk x4d

I just purchased a Fish Hawk X4D from Northwoods Wholesale Outlet for $725 delivered. The people there are extremely nice and helpful. This is the biggest single purchase that I have ever spent for fishing but I am hoping this will also be my most useful tool. If any members have any advice or tips please enlighten me. I am very receptive to advice from other members. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I also am considering buying a fishhawk this year. Last year I switched my riggers from wire to the downrigger braid made by Scotty. Did not see a big change in the number of fish caught so I'm going to stay with it this year. Any suggestions or things I should be looking out for in regards to running a fishhawk using braid?

One unseen kink in cable and she's bye bye too.. I run cable and have lost a probe it's the worst feeling in the world especially when your on fish and go back over the spot you broke off and it starts to read again lol.. I know many guys that run probes on braid and have no problems... Best bet is to constantly pay attention to braid or cable for any possible sign of weakness..

Mike

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One unseen kink in cable and she's bye bye too.. I run cable and have lost a probe it's the worst feeling in the world especially when your on fish and go back over the spot you broke off and it starts to read again lol.. I know many guys that run probes on braid and have no problems... Best bet is to constantly pay attention to braid or cable for any possible sign of weakness..

Mike

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yep, lost mine on cable. The funniest part of it was my brother telling me to hurry up and mark the spot on the depth-finder so we could go back and find it. It was in 300 ft of water near Sampson. And yes, I started to press the buttons until I realized.......

Very good information guys. So what type of material should I be using on my riggers? Cable, I assume stainless? Or braid? And what pound material?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I bought a x4d prior to my first trip to Lake O. On that first trip, my sonar would not work over 100 fow. We went 4 for 6 on kings by just running our spread between 42 and 50 degree water with no idea how deep the water was and whether there were marks. The depth feature let us exactly know the upper and lower boundaries. Never had fished for salmon before or been on Lake O and pick up four kings with a broken sonar using just the FishHawk. Now I also read all three of Dan Keating's books and ran a seven line spread so it wasn't just dumb luck but I think it's impressive how well it worked just running the gear in a temperature zone. It's a useful tool for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

Used 150Lb. Power Pro for years , Dragged bottom a few times with no problems. Finally lost Probe and 12lb. ball fishing in 5 footers trying to set line into release . Ball swung up into air and came down " Snap " .   Ouch-$$$$$$$$ . Switched back to wire on probe rigger , and always keep ball and probe under water in rough seas  , just use stacker releases . Yes , always checked Super line , even cut a few ft. back every few trips .