Minnow Identification

Minnow Identification

I found about two dozen of these minnows in our alfalfa field about 50 feet from a 1/4 acre pond on our property. They were in some shallow runoff, all alive. I had thought all the bass had been killed a few years back with the hard winter. Anyway, are the silver ones bass? What are the dark minnows? We never stocked anything but bass in there that I can remember. Very curious as to what these are. 

IMAG0240-1-01.jpeg

IMAG0244-01.jpeg

5 minutes ago, jighead said:

Minnow Identification

I found about two dozen of these minnows in our alfalfa field about 50 feet from a 1/4 acre pond on our property. They were in some shallow runoff, all alive. I had thought all the bass had been killed a few years back with the hard winter. Anyway, are the silver ones bass? What are the dark minnows? We never stocked anything but bass in there that I can remember. Very curious as to what these are. 

IMAG0240-1-01.jpeg

IMAG0244-01.jpeg

One of the best is out of Wisconsin.  Wiscfish.org - which apparently now bounces to this site: http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/home/Default.aspx?tabid=604

Most of it was developed by John Lyons, an eminent fish biologist. The pictures are amazing, especially those that focus on distinguishing characteristics.  Wisco fishes are fairly similar to NY's.