crossbows

Calls Needed TODAY to Assembly Speaker Heastie and Senate Majority Leader Flanagan

Please take the time to call Speaker Heastie's and Senate Majority Leader Flanagan's offices and respectfully request they adopt Part GGG of the Senate Budget proposal to bring Full Inclusion of Crossbows into the archery season for ALL Hunters Statewide, utilizing a Bow Privilege.

We are coming down to the last couple days of the negotiations process and we need EVERYONE to make the calls now.

Call Today and Every Day through Friday.

With the momentum created from 2000 letters of support for Full Inclusion in the last 8 weeks, we can not afford to let up now.

Lets continue to work together to get this done.

Speaker Heastie's Albany Office Phone Number 518-455-3791

Senate Majority Leader Flanagan's

Albany Office Phone Number

518-455-2071

Not available to make your calls during office hours?

Call anytime and leave a message

I Just Called, Will You?

Do you have any questions or concerns about NYCC and our activities? Are you interested in helping us at any of the shows or events we attend? Please feel free to contact us via email at [email protected] or drop a note to

Rick McDermott

PO Box 316

Pulaski NY 13142

Tom Povhe

96 Beech St.

Gowanda, NY 14070

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Why would you , Hope it doesn't Pass? I don't get this!  Hunters and Fisherman , shouldn't be fighting against one another. You prefer a Compound Bow, I may prefer a Recurve Bow, My Grandfather that loves to hunt but cant pull a Bow back would love to be able to shoot one last Deer, or the young hunter you want to get interested in hunting. There is no room for People who enjoy the outdoors to be fighting against each other. We have plenty of Anti's out there that are against us. 

Where were all the people against rifles during shotgun season? This is no different. They shoot a bit further, more accurate and less of a chance wounding deer.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

When I was 12 years old I made a spear and took it rabbit hunting and was successful (true story).  I think there should be a spear only rabbit season because I liked the challenges of hunting with a spear and demand everyone else abide by my preferences.  I am calling my assemblyman today!

Glad to see the support here. My dad is only 50 and can no longer pull a compound and has a hard time with the cold works 55 plus hrs a week so will not let a Dr label him as disabled. I hope it passes so he can get out with me early October when it's 60 degrees out and enjoy bow season like many of us already do. This shouldn't be an issue if anti xbow guys would shoot 1 they would realize they are not the miracle arrow slingers they seem to think they are. The range is not much further the FPS isn't much higher...sure you don't have to draw on a deer but that's the only benifit. You will not get a follow up shot with a xbow bc of noise. You can not shoot off hand as well. You can not maneuver as well with one due to horizontal limbs. So both have perks and downfalls just depends on why you want to use one.

Please make the phone calls and let's get this passed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

i am all for cross bow from start to finish . that being said remember when the dec was thinking of starting a early  muzzleloader season in the southern zone  the archery hunters put up a big fuss , i would like to hunt late October early November  .want to trade for some earlier  muzzleloader time in the southern zone  for more cross bow time ? ....yeah did't think so  ...

i am all for cross bow from start to finish . that being said remember when the dec was thinking of starting a early  muzzleloader season in the southern zone  the archery hunters put up a big fuss , i would like to hunt late October early November  .want to trade for some earlier  muzzleloader time in the southern zone  for more cross bow time ? ....yeah did't think so  ...

Hopefully opening of xbow full season will help with the areas that Have population issues. Getting more older ,women and kids involved also.

With full xbow they need to make bow course manditory...which I believe is in the bill too

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, outback kennels said:

i hope u cant pull a compound back

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

That was a strong reply for someone asking for support. 

Yea, I get it, but I don't. Get more people out in the woods especially kids. So many people are worried about taking "my" deer, or it isn't traditional so it doesn't belong in the bow category. Yet some, I didn't say all, are back out hunting the next day with a gun after they they were successful with a bow. Show me the one person that only hunts traditional and nothing else and only takes one buck, I'll listen to their argument all day. To me it's about getting more people out in the woods. We need em folks. Bottom line. I hope we can get past this issue. Other states have. And boy do we look stupid.

you will have to take or have bow course to hunt with crossbow 

It should be mandated. It needs to be taught that a crossbow needs to be treated as a bow. People think they can shoot deer at long distances. In reality, you can not shoot a deer any further. Crossbows are loud and deer still jump the string. Past 40 yards, too much can go wrong. I have been using one for two years and love it. I was able to take my first deer with it this fall. I would love to see it open all of bow season.

IMG_1490814719.509271.thumb.jpg.8d1337aa02237e32962d9990bf6e9785.jpg

IMG_1490814746.207956.thumb.jpg.96098bf38ef839e247007e06cc0df7be.jpg

I just called both offices. I have been in support of crossbows for a long time. I have made calls and sent letters in support for several years. NO logical reason to be against them. They are a game harvesting weapon that is NO different than bow, gun or muzzleloader. If choices exist, than hunters should have the right to exercise choice to use any and all legal weapons at their disposal in the quest for harvesting big game. Thanks Outback for the post and info.  Tank

For me personally this hits home. I just underwent shoulder surgery and will not be able to bow hunt for 2-3 years at best (if ever again). I have talked to the local DEC officer and my injury does not qualify for a "allowance" to use a crossbow or other such bow during the normal bow season. The law is more geared towards permanently disabled and/or amputees. I have never truly considered cross bow as I was a hardcore compound guy, but this has definitely opened my eyes about it. Maybe if they don't open it to everyone but rather change the law that allows hunters with certain injuries to hunt with a crossbow during normal season. They would have to produce a doctors note and obtain a special permit allowing it. I'm not sure there is a correct answer in "everyone's" eyes but can can tell you how bad it hurts to hear you may never be able to do something again when it is your true passion. It will be tough to "sit on the sideline" for a month or so awaiting for the crossbow season to open this year. I generally put in 30-35 days in the woods out of a normal bow season which is roughly 45 days.......

Crossbows are legal in PA during regular archery season and I was one of those who was initially against it.  However after a few years, my opinion has drastically changed on the matter.  I too went through a shoulder surgery right before archery season and has basically written the season off... until I started getting all those updates from friends in the woods daily and the rut heating up.  My boss had a crossbow he said I could use and I initially declined before the season, until those texts and updates drove me over the edge and I needed to get back out and hunt.  Luckily I was still able to cock the x-bow with the ropes without hurting my shoulder and with very little practice was out again hunting.  Two or three hunts later I filled my buck tag with it.

Now had they not been legal in PA I would not have been able to get out and enjoy that time in the woods that we all cherish.  I did feel as if I was "cheating" a little bit not having to draw and hold for a shot.  But they are easy to learn and be proficient with... extremely accurate and fast.  But as others mentioned above, they are not "better" than compounds - just different.  You still need to put the bolt in the right spot on the deer to be successful, in under 40 yards.  I think that's where a lot of folks still have issues in PA and other states with them.  Some guys think because there's a scope that they can aim where they aim during rifle season and wind up wounding an animal.  With proper education for the hunter I have nothing wrong or against their use.  Hope it passes in NY for you guys.

I was against crossbows at first like everyone else until I broke down and bought one last year. I bought it on a Thursday took it home sighted it in and was in my treestand with it that Saturday morning. At 8am I put a bolt through a very nice 10 point and he didn't go 40 yrds. I will never go in the bow woods again without my crossbow! I absolutely love it now20161112_084450.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app