Daiwa DXT Roller Rods?

Daiwa DXT Roller Rods?

For years I've been using Heartlands with a Twili tip for my wire divers and always wondered if roller rods are worth trying?

Now I am looking at a couple 8'6" Daiwa DXT 's

For guys that already made the switch to roller rods what do you think about these rods now? pros and cons compared to using twili tips?

Thanks

Admittedly I am a roller rod guy at this point in the game and I've used them since 1979 or thereabouts  so I'm somewhat "biased" but if you are talking for dipsey use on freshwater I guess yuou have to look at cost to benefit. To me the benefits seem to be they seem easer to reel in and may be easier on the wire but I'm not totally sure about the latter either. I have about a dozen of them altogether ranging from light/medium weight (wire dipsey use and Seth Greens) to heavy weight (tuna type all roller rods). I also have a couple of medium downrigger type rods that  I took the twilli off and put roller tips on because I like the way they handle the wire. On the downside if you are using the 3o lb test 7 strand on them make sure to get a totally stainless steel rod tip as the cheaper ones with the aluminum side plates can cut through when the wire get a little sideways on them (like in rough water). Sixty pound test wire will not do that but better yet although I haven't used it to date  I suspect that 19 strand wire wouldn't do it either and that is what is suggested if you go with other than an all stainless steel roller top. You don't really need all rollers on the rod for freshwater use just the first eyelet and the roller top.  With all this said my feeling is that based on my own previous use of twillis and also the fact that most of my frends use them currently it is mainly a matter of preference for the dipsey wire application in freshwater. In saltwater tuna fishing for example I would say rollers offer more smoothness and less tension on the line so they would be a better choice:). When you look at the cost to benefit ratio the twilli tip will do the job and is far less expensive for the dipsey use.. The Diawa DXT wire rod uses Aftco roller top and guides and most of the Aftco stuff is good quality.

Edited by Sk8man

I have a set of the DXT roller rods, and love them. I had GM roller rods for years, these are not as stiff, but they work great!! You will not be disappointed!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United