Flat calm and hot

Fly

Flat calm and hot

From what I've read, the conditions encountered on the LadyO when she is like my title, are not a welcome sign. Esp. when it's late August.

I love those type of days, cause I can usually do fish.

So next time you're hating the flat water and the heat, try this:

Tie Silver Bullets on all your lines and run them back 100 to 125 feet. I don't use counters, and go by passes of the level winder. I park 2 riggers and stack on the 2 outboard rigs with 12 feet separating the lines.

Forget about where your weights are, the counters are pretty much going to be useless because the next step is to bang your throttle till you hit fish. The last time I used this tactic, we'd done fish the previous day in 220-250 FOW with 10 pound balls under 80-100 feet of cable. I kept the counters in that range, but it would take another boat on our 6 to see the balls. We were reading 4-5 mph on the GPS and were going too fast for the slow meter. The cables were hitting the water at better than 45degrees, and the balls were way outside of the cone.  Now you can call me full of crap, but did I mention I catch fish doing this.

So next time you're hating the flat water, try this. It's worked for me on several occasions.

A fellow Selkirk Campground rat followed my advice, but he hates J-plugs. He did do fish with NK silver mags. The two things in common were silver and speed. Perhaps other plugs  and spoons will work, but I never felt the need to mess with other colors.

Do not try and run a dipsy. And you may want to go back to your old offshore releases. When a fish hits, it's violent. Sloppy hooks sets are common and you will have 3 fish on just long enough to make the click talk for every fish you net, but it beats the snot out of drifting and dreaming. Tight releases are begging for an over stressed line.

Tight Lines

Fly

Landshark, 5 mph for a salmon is creeping speed. I've had a wake behind my boat and caught early landlocks on streamers from local puddles. My intention was just to go from point A to point B and being too lazy to reel in my lines. Hooking fish was a nice bonus.

Fly is a known handle to some of your copats from the Cortland area, that are also Selkirk rats during Derby time. If they are still around, Gas Passer and Auctioneer will vouch for Fly. Say hi to them for me.

Edited by Fly
spelling

CJ (My initials also):

We were catching kings.

Put a J Plug in the water and throttle up. It's pretty easy to understand the poor hook ups.

No lips, but a punctured scale was not uncommon.

A few years back I was trolling out of Sodus and having a good morning, about 10 oclock it turned off. We trolled around for an other hour with out a hit so I cleared the lines and dropped the temp. prob. down till I hit the right temp. zone at 4.5mph. them I dropped two move rods down with hi speed attacker spoons that they don't make any more on the riggers with fixed sliders at the same depth as the temp. gage. It wasen't long we were into fish again, Salmon and steelhead. I checked the GPS and I was still in the same water I fished in the morning.

You have to slow down as soon as you hook up or you rip the hooks out.

Greg's H.S. Attackers & the Optimizers did there fair share of damage at the higher troll speeds, never had to worry about spinning one up to 4.5 / 5 or so & you could cover a lot of water looking if need be.