otterboat keels

Otter boats work great. I pull up to 3 coppers per side on them. If you are having trouble im guessing it is one of two things. Your knot configuration or the planer board line you are using. What type of planer board line are you using?

First thing is to check your knot configuration and make sure it is correct. 9" front and 14" back is the stock measurements. a 1/4" adjustment can change a lot. 

https://www.bigjon.com/admin/partsimage/1395148340OTTBOATinstr.pdf

IMO braid is the best option for planer boards. It has a small diameter, doesnt absorb water, almost zero stretch.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/PowerPro-Spectra-Downrigger-Cable-Replacement

Just now, Chinook Chaser said:

so the stuff that comes on the reel isn't good for copper/lead core? and I will measure my knot configuration and see what I have got. I know i did it differently then the instructions per another guy. 

Im not a fan of the dacron planer board line. It doesnt perform nearly as well as braid.

Just now, DJ 717 said:

Has anyone noticed a big difference between having the half weight on the second keel vs having no weight on the second keel?

I honestly have always ran just a single keel and they have run great for me. However I just ordered second keels for them so i am hoping that they help a bit.

6 hours ago, Chinook Chaser said:

otterboat keels

currently I have double keels with only one weighted. pulls line well except for copper. should I add another full weight or half weight?

I run my 2nd keels with 1/2 weights. Also drilled a new set of holes in the sides of the boards 3/4" lower that the originals. They pull like hell.

I bought 2nd keels at the Niagara Fishing/Outdoor Expo in 2015 from a charter captain out of Wilson. Nice price and made well. After installing  I found at rest that they sunk slowly. I took weight off the 2nd set and have had no problems since. I was told you really don't need the xtra weight unless pulling multiple long coppers. I do like spoon-fed's idea of 1/2 weights though. 

I would adjust the lines on the boards like Legacy said earlier. That will get them pulling much better. If the keels are stainless then a weight on the second keel isn't needed. Another thing that I've been doing (which is 180 degrees out from the OEM recommendations) is turning the keels around so that the weight or the "L" at the bottom is facing the boat, not facing away. The thought is that the "L" creates more resistance causing it to pull harder. This may change the measurements from above. Mine aren't exactly 9" and 14" but pretty close. You will have to tweek them a little bit.
I agree that the tow line makes a difference too. The old yellow and orange line seems to fray a lot and pick up a lot of stuff in the water causing it to sag. A few years ago I switched to 250lb test power pro and really like it. Its thin and smooth and the releases glide down it nicely. The Amish Outfitters line looks good, but I haven't tried it.

Sent from my VS995 using Lake Ontario United mobile app