Shore or charter in Maui Hawai?

Went last year to all the islands, but took a charter when we were on Kona, closest to the sailfish waters, caught little ones, hook up a few times with horses but lost them. To me it's to much like work:lol:

I did it about 10 years ago on a Charter called Start Me Up. My experience was good, but not great. We did a 1 hr run to an offshore buoy early in the morning to get there before other boats arrived. Split the charter with two other couples and we each caught a mahi before the sharks and other boats arrived. We were told that these buoys are put out by the fisheries dept and act as mini ecosystems to attract bait and game fish. With such as vast area and deep water this helps fisherman find fish. Problem is that if you had first crack at the buoy you did good but once the sharks and other boats moved in on the action the game fish scatter. As soon as we had a shark bite the tail off a mahi that was it. We left and then trolled for 6 more hours with nothing. Was interesting but not one of the better charters I’ve been on. My father did it a year later and had about the same experience.

Edited by A-Lure-A

Hay sharks under 100 pounds are great eating fish.  I was there40 years ago on a boat ride to a far away place and we found some Japanese Hawaiian guys to fish form shore with.  High up on some cliffs, It was a real science with their gear and setup.  Big 10/0 reels caught some monster permit type fish.  Lots of sakie and good times.....jk

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2017 at 9:18 AM, A-Lure-A said:

I did it about 10 years ago on a Charter called Start Me Up. My experience was good, but not great. We did a 1 hr run to an offshore buoy early in the morning to get there before other boats arrived. Split the charter with two other couples and we each caught a mahi before the sharks and other boats arrived. We were told that these buoys are put out by the fisheries dept and act as mini ecosystems to attract bait and game fish. With such as vast area and deep water this helps fisherman find fish. Problem is that if you had first crack at the buoy you did good but once the sharks and other boats moved in on the action the game fish scatter. As soon as we had a shark bite the tail off a mahi that was it. We left and then trolled for 6 more hours with nothing. Was interesting but not one of the better charters I’ve been on. My father did it a year later and had about the same experience.

I had much the same experience. Besides, the captain/guide left me with the feeling that he could not care less about giving the customer a good experience

Edited by rolmops