Problems with Honda

Problems with Honda

I am hoping problems with my 2009 Honda 30 hp. four stroke. Brought it to the dealer, spent 350.00 to rebuild the carbs at his suggestion,only to have him tell me when he was done that there is an internal crack in the block and even if he were to tear the motor down completely he probably wouldn't be able to fix it. The motor has less than 500 hours on it. 

I wrote to Honda, explained my situation and enclosed the diagnostics from the dealer along with the receipt for the work done. Honda has not even had the courtesy to respond to my inquiry. Nothing, not a word-- I will think twice before purchasing another Honda product if this is how they treat their customers. Any suggestions??

What do you expect Honda to do? It's an eight year old motor, that possibly lacked regular maintenance. Maybe you never changed the oil. Maybe you failed to replace the cooling impeller. Regarding the mechanic,.. sometimes there is more than one thing wrong with mechanical equipment and you have to fix one problem to find the second problem. Just because it has a cracked block doesnt mean the carb didn't need to be rebuilt. I'm just trying to give you a different perspective. I would get a second opinion. I must stress that I'm not trying very to be a jerk. Just playing devil's advocate.

Sent from my XT1565 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Get a phone number and call US headquarters and explain your situation.  Not saying it is going to change the outcome but at least you have made

the best attempt rather than just a letter that lands on a desk or in the trash. 

what leads him to think the block is cracked my past experience with dealers is most of there techs really are not that good not saying that about them all but for the most part it seems to be the case .does he have any proof to back up diag !

Hard Knox that a a great point.The engine was meticulously cared for to factory specs. I perfectly understand that things don't last forever, my problem is that Honda won't even acknowledge that I'm having a problem.Im not looking for the company to do anything more than steer me in the right direction.

The frustrating thing in all of this is that all of the electronics on the engine work flawlessly. The electronic ignition, the power trim, ect. All are great, however they're rendered useless since the engine won't run. The dealer offered me 500.00 for the engine. I know the electronics are worth much more than that. Simply looking for direction from Honda which at this point has been fruitless

Ask the dealer tech how he came to the conclusion that the block is cracked. And maybe you should get a second opinion. But don't tell them what diagnosis you were given by the first tech. Do a little research on the dealer. But if you let it sit for a long time with old gas in it, that could cause problems with the carbs. And if you let water freeze in it, the block could be cracked. In pretty much most outboards, the water will drain out of the block when you tilt it down to a vertical position. If you tilted it up after using it and did not tilt it down to drain the water when you pulled it out of the water, water could freeze and crack the block if it was in below freezing conditions afterward.

The problem occurred in the fall of last year. I used the boat on a Saturday, parked it in the slip and went back on the following Tuesday. It ran great on Saturday, wouldn't start on tuesday .The temp was in the 50"s and low 60"s. I Freezing should not have been an issue--. The dealer had it all winter and it's now time to get the boat ready and I'm dealing with the issue at hand.

Keep in mind that the water was not drained out after you pulled it out, it could freeze if it was outside in the winter without draining (tilted up). But it doesn't make a lot of sense that the carburetors would go bad from sitting 3 days, and cause the motor to not run. Another opinion might be in order. Especially if you had drained the water out of the motor.

That's a good point jimski. He "offered" to sell me a 2013 Sazuki 20 HP 4 Stroke  with low hours on it for 3700.00. When I asked him about a warranty, he said there would be no warranty since the original warranty expired. I told him that if I were to spend 3700 for a used motor, I would sooner spend 4500 and buy new. He wasn't real pleased but said he understood my thinking. When I buy new, it won't be from him.

PM ME AND I WILL GIVE YOU MY PHONE NUMBER I MIGHT BE ABLE TO TALK YOU THROUGH A FEW THINGS TO CK I HAVE HAD OUTBOARDS ALL MY LIFE AND HAVE BEEN A MASTER TOYOTA TECH FOR 30YEARS THE MOTOR SHOULD START EVEN WITH A CRACKED BLOCK !

I am with hardknox tho I gave up doing it full time I still work on my own stuff and I cracked block would very rarely cause a no start. I just recently worked on a bf8a Honda 4 stroked guy rebuilt carbs all new coils wires etc. it was not pulling fuel and when I checked the compression 1 cyl had 0. Pulled it apart and found a stuck valve. Bent from smacking the piston. New valve guides and springs and it runs like a champ now. Start with spark if you are getting spark verify you are getting fuel. If it will fire on starting fluid your problem is on the fuel side. Check your compression. And are you leaking oil or water from the crack in the block? 

Since I used to work for Honda, I can suggest that you ask your dealer who the local zone rep is. He visits all the local dealers and knows the good techs and the good dealers. Explain your situation and ask for a recommendation on a good dealer and tech.

If your dealer will not give you the zone reps name, pursue his name through Honda or another dealer. Honda is a good company: some dealers, maybe not so much.

good luck,

Jay