Hard Core..... or Crazy..

Hard Core..... or Crazy..

I drove down to the Port Of Rochester early this morning.... a light misty rain, wind out of the NE with 3- 5 foot waves crashing the piers, wind chill at 28 degrees, boat ramps clogged up with logs, branches, and a ton of other assorted crap, more big logs and debris floating down the river........ an one lonely fairly large boat trailer in the lot, who apparently drove through the crap on the ramp to  go fishing.  I launch in less than perfect conditions form time to time, but not today...

You may have noticed the 27" of snow we got last week, all that water is running down the Genesee now, along with the 1.5" of rain over the last 48 hours.  The river is  flowing at 10600 cfs, shore anglers up at the falls like 2000 or less, and high flows like that tend to clean the channel of debris accumulated over winter, like a lot of the trees that fell in the windstorm we had two weeks ago.  Probably a lot of logs hanging around in the mud line offshore, too, now, not the best conditions for hull preservation.

In the future, to get a sense of what you might encounter in the river, use the link below.  I hope the folks who launched see this, too, they may have had a long drive.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?site_no=04231600

I traveled to the Wiscoy and Eastkoy Creeks this morning for the opener of trout season. Three days of rain filled them over the banks and no other die hards were seen anywhere. Two hours of fishing headwaters resulted in nothing except a large beaver swimming by me. It will take a few days for all the water to flow down the Genesee River.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United