No April Fool On Irondequoit Bay!

IMG_2987.JPGIMG_2989.JPG

To sum it up - I feel like I just caught a unicorn.

I have lived on Irondequoit Bay since 2006 and I have heard people telling stories of browns in the bay...but I'm going to be honest I thought they were the things of legend that we fisherman are known to tell stories of (insert lie.). I KNOW they are in the creek - but the idea of pulling one from shore seemed IMPOSSIBLE. Too much water and why would they be near me. It was like casting to a bathtub.

I have been all over today for our opening day of trout season. I thought about the Powder Mill derby but it was packed and the water was milky chocolate brown. I drove to Webster (boat isn't in yet) and hit the pier - but it was all chocolate milk brown. I was not to be stopped so I went to the Irondequoit Pier and threw things in the water for three hours without a single hit, strike - look - sniff- nibble...nada.

As I left a gentleman told me he had a brown he caught - and said the bay was good for them right now (YEAH RIGHT! I thought.).

My wife was at the gym so I thought I would screw around on the docks and see if I could catch any perch. I brought my trout rig too...but just for something to do. My wife even told me that we fisherman were known fabricators as she went to the gym and I was heading home for the Dock and the guy who "caught the brown" at the pier was fibbing...she even laughed! I had to admit...I was on her side.

I believe in miracles now.

This is probably my most unanticipated and most interesting catch I have had. This was a tank too! I'm still in shock. I was in Key West a week ago and hooked into a nurse shark and a 250-300 pound hammerhead - which was awesome and I have the bruises to prove it! - but this was even more amazing. I feel like I just saw Big Foot! I apologize to all those who have told me otherwise in the past...you were right- I was wrong. I'm a proud believer in the trout of Irondequoit Bay now. This is a happy day and that is NO April Fool!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes they are there. I have caught them while using my Zebco 33 with 8 pound line while casting from the west side towards the shallows at Mayers Marina using castmasters (1 ouncers). You may laugh,but I love that little Zebco. It is always in the back of my car and ready at a moments notice.

Beautiful fish.... reminds me of buzz bombing early morning or drifting herring at night for salmon off Edmonds Pier in the 1980s.  Many seasons it was hake after hake after hake before I saw a quality salmon... I used to tell my parents I was spending the night at a friends then stay up all night fishing.  Was hard to explain when I come home covered in scales with a boatload of salmon steaks

I just checked the picture date to verify, we caught about an 8 pound brown in I-Bay while pike fishing on May 21st a few years ago. Can't remember what it hit but it was a surprise.

Nice fish!

The browns were jumping everywhere in the Bay yesterday. They come into the Bay every year as soon as the ice goes out and you can get them on spoons and sticks trolling.

Couldn't get out to the lake on Tuesday bc of waves so I took a trip around i bay. Got this brown off German village along with a smaller one that was off the Newport yaht club. I grew up in Irondequoit and browns r more common than u think imo.

Both fish ate clown scatter raps. Made 2 trips around the bay n called it quits. 20170405_132420.thumb.jpg.7af695a589c9b78edc947b8659af2cac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app