Big Boat

I have a Ranger 621 I use to its multi species potential, have recently been kicking around the crazy idea of getting a "big boat" dedicated to cold water species. For 1 it wouldn't take me an hour to switch tackle, rods, downriggers etc to go from walleye to salmon, 2nd I'm 5+ hours from Lake O, it would be nice to maybe rent a slip for a couple months and leave the big boat there and still have the ranger to fish by home and not pull a trailer that far every weekend I want to fish. Finally, the Ranger is up there as the safest boat out there flotation wise etc but it is only 21 feet, would be nice to have something in the 30 foot range for those days wave wise that would be borderline for the 21.

So here's some questions because I know exactly nothing about big boats and inboard motors.

First, does this make sense to anyone else or should I save my money and just trailer the 621?

As far as big boats go...what do I look for as far as maintenance, engine type(s), hours, etc. For a reliable boat? I don't want to be having issues all the time, I know it won't be a brand new outboard with a warranty like I'm used to now but I don't want to end up stranded, or buying something I shouldn't have and it's at the mechanic constantly

This is still just a crazy thought so I'm not sure on budget but I would guess maybe 30k but flexible depending on the deal as well as trade off of hours/maintenance etc for price. Maybe up to 45-50? The only brand I know of personally that has a good reputation is Tiara, but like I said I'm uninformed as of now so what are others to look at? I want quality, reliability but also value if possible.

Finally, what's a good size? I want something that can be trailered without issue, I have a diesel pickup but it is a single rear wheel, I don't want anything that would require a dually truck.

I know this is very basic, I know about my ranger and similar sized boats but I'm clueless here so any and all knowledge and opinions are welcomed and appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I ran a z520 last year unbolted the back fishing seat ran a 2x6 had two 4ft arm cannons and 3 extra rod holders. Was able to run 2 riggers and two dipsey rods no problem. Ran 2 36" bags to keep me under 2.8 mph flat days ran the 101 with a 5 rods one on a planer board. Had to play the wind could do it up to 3 to 4 ftrs when it was bumpy I ran just 3 dipsys two down the sides one on a 3 setting. Your boat is built for the rough stuff. Go fish.

8541.jpeg

Yeah I mean the ranger has everything to fish salmon, I've done it before and just bought new riggers a week ago for my track system.

Big boat was just a thought, I have lots of crazy ones lol. It's also really tight to fish 4 or 5 people out of the ranger for big fish. Either way, I want to learn about the big boat stuff.

This may be a little out of the box thinking....but I would consider chartering a boat for Ontario. When you factor all the costs of you fish less then 20 days you will actually save money in the long run. Pm me if you want more insight on how to do this.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This may be a little out of the box thinking....but I would consider chartering a boat for Ontario. When you factor all the costs of you fish less then 20 days you will actually save money in the long run. Pm me if you want more insight on how to do this.

I make the payments on the boat and have many thousands in tackle, I get where you're coming from but it just doesn't make sense to me. I may do that for a day to get a head start on learning the area but my boat burns less than $50 in fuel a day (I can run 20 miles each way on $50), to pay over $500 a day consistently doesn't make any sense. Besides, that rules out a lot of friends joining me that can't or don't want to spend that much either.

Sorry...i thought you were considering another 2nd bigger boat, including upkeep, dockage, storage ECT on a second lake miles from home with friends willing to pay their fair share of the expenses. Again...it all depends on the number of fishable days per year you expect to be on the lake. If you can find a guy at $500/day jump on it. I was thinking in terms of $800/day offsetting the cost and upkeep of a $25k Lake Ontario boat over the course of 5 years....that is based on 15 fishable days. I am also assuming that residual value of the boat at the end of 5 years will equal the amount of repairs. (10 k depreciation/$15k in repairs)
I know what a 25'-30' boat on LO cost and I will tell you that my numbers are right on the money. Now if you find a $500 charter boat you would get 24 fishable days with no headaches or maintenance....that's a no brainer!

You sold me Carl, I'm selling my boat !!  (Not really) Haha.  Seriously though, that's a very well thought out intelligent pitch and you make some really valid points laid out in a way I never actually thought of.  

I used the 500 as a rough number, never looked into it.

I have no doubt your numbers are correct, as we all know if it was about price per pound we should all just go to the grocery store lol. If I had no boat at all, I would take your advice for sure.

A 2nd, bigger boat would definitely be a want instead of a financial decision, heck fishing or hunting at all is the same thing it usually doesn't make financial sense. I just want to learn more about the big boats and what's involved in order to either keep it as a future option or forget about it

If you can afford 2 boats go for it.
I've had several boats at a time and still do.
It hurts the wallet but allows be to fish anything and duck hunt anywhere.
.as for the LO boat I would look for a beat up 27 tiara on a trailer and invest some elbow grease.

I found mine for 5500 without the trailer.
Bought a brand new trailer for 6k
The boat was solid other than no electronics and some punky cat walks.

Motors and trannies were good.
I already spent 30k in extras but I'm stupid like that.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

If you can afford 2 boats go for it.
I've had several boats at a time and still do.
It hurts the wallet but allows be to fish anything and duck hunt anywhere.
.as for the LO boat I would look for a beat up 27 tiara on a trailer and invest some elbow grease.

I found mine for 5500 without the trailer.
Bought a brand new trailer for 6k
The boat was solid other than no electronics and some punky cat walks.

Motors and trannies were good.
I already spent 30k in extras but I'm stupid like that.

So do you think 27 is about the biggest you would want to trailer?

Look at a Grady-White Islander 268.  It's heavy enough to fish days that the Ranger wouldn't, but with an 8'6" beam and twin outboards, it's very trailerable (without permits!).  It also has accomodations to stay a weekend on (flush head, full berth, etc.).  Depending on how many times you fish the big lake per year, it may make sense to trailer and avoid some extra costs like slip fees, bottom painting, buying gas on the water, etc...

Just my $0.02

I was in your shoes 4-5 years ago, I owned a Troller boat 18'er but that boat was built in Ohio intended for Lake Erie she handled up to 3+ footers, but I sat on the bank many a days while the larger boats rumbled out to the lake. My troller was set up for walleyes, riggers rod holders ect. I fell into a deal on a 21ft Sea Ray fisherman, with deep gunnals and being all glass she's heavy plus she's a cuddy, with a 350 Merc. If you can budget $30 G's I would go with a 24frer hard top. There are a lot of modles, out there that are better than others. The seasoned guys on here have more Intel. Then I think about your not going to fish in 5+ fters comfortable anyway so at least with a 24 foot boat will handle that for sure. My Sea Ray handles 4+ footers no problem. So a 24 fter you'll be ahead of the game. Just have a surveyer go over the boat before you buy!! The $300 it cost will pay for itself quicker than you can say BOAT!!  Which means Break Out Another Thousand!! I have my boat in Ny all season but I put it on the trailer, and parke it in the campground we are in. No dock fee other than the time I'm there. Which is $10.00 a day. Then I have a 18 ft run about kind of rigged for fishing, and that one doubles as a ski boat also. Hope this helps ya.

9 hours ago, Mikecatt14 said:

So do you think 27 is about the biggest you would want to trailer?

In NY and Pa the widest load you can trailer legally without a permit is 8'6".  With a permit you are restricted to daylight hours and no weekends.

A lot of guys just take the chance and go without a permit and usually have no problems, unless you're involved in an accident.

It's hard to find a boat larger than 26' that doesn't have a beam width over 8'6".

I was in the same place you're at several years ago, had a 21' center console that I trailered up every time.  Worked fine for 2-3 people but 3 footers were the max and there were many days we didn't go out.  Plus there was the extra fuel and time pulling the boat 4 hours and a few flat tires.  It was nice to bring everything home each time so you knew where it was and could use it at other places.  Main reasons for wanting a bigger boat were room for 4+, safety on LO just in case, ability to handle 3-4 footers, protection from the weather and leaving it up there.  Still wanted the option of trailering to different ports and to bring her home for the winter so I ended up with a 25' Penn Yan 255 Intruder.  Because my schedule doesn't allow me to go every weekend I decided to dry dock her at a marina for now and just launch when I get there but I think about just getting a slip every year. 

So far this has worked out great other than my wife thinking I'm nuts to have 2 boats.  I did gain some points with her when we got caught in a squall offshore which would have been real nasty in my 21 footer.  Financially it is probably the worst decision I've ever made in my life but I still think it's a good investment for many reasons.  The costs go up considerably when you make the next step up to a 28+ footer.     

Capt Carl does have a great point however there is something special about dumping lots of money into your own boat, believe me I understand. Check the classifieds here. Sea Ray, Penn Yan, Baha, all good boats for the lake. 

2 hours ago, mudflat said:

In NY and Pa the widest load you can trailer legally without a permit is 8'6".  With a permit you are restricted to daylight hours and no weekends.

In NY, with a permit, there is a special provision (SHN 09-03) which allows weekend travel for boats up 10' width. https://www.dot.ny.gov/nypermits/repository/SHN09-03.pdf

I really don't think most ppl speak of wave heights honestly.
Or they just guess which in most cases they are way off.

When I hear guys say 4 or 5 footers most likely its a true 2 footer.

4 footers are huge when it comes to fishing on lake o.

In my previous 31 tiara we would fish up to 4 footers max even in a following sea.
You can't control your speed. Your spread is crabbing all over the place.
Rods are false releasing
And then when you want to run in you take a beating regardless of boat make or models.

I wouldn't fish 4 plus footers in a 31' or a 24'

The only difference between the two boats is one is larger and can be more comfortable to fish on and sleep on with company.

After owning several boats and looking at dozens I wouldn't buy any other brand than S2 yatchs
Tiara, pursuit all the way.

Well built and affordable boats

I have been in 4-5 footers, and yes they get that big on LakeO, when you go down and can't another boat till you come back up out of the swells, buddy that's a 4fter, I'm not fishing in that shyt I'm heading my ass the hell home. Been there done that. But fishing 4 fters I have a hard time believing that part, I'm not saying it can't be done when your down in a swell and your boards are out of sight that would mean your tow line is cutting through a lot of water, I can't see how it's possible to keep releases on the line??  Really??