Mexico Bay browns 4-1

My good friends Ken Miller, Bill Perks  and I left Ken's house in Preble @ just after 5:00 a.m. Saturday morning, towing his 21' Wellcraft to Mexico Point boat launch.  We got everything loaded and launched the boat by around 6:45, and made a short run West, toward the powerplant, and set up in about 10' of water.  We ran 2 inline boards per side, 2 downriggers, and a chute rod.  Went 9 for 9 on browns and was off the lake by noon.  Best colors were black and silver spoons, and black and gold stickbaits.  We were fishing fairly clear water, from 10'-18'.  Mostly cookie cutter 3-5 pound fish, with one nice 10 pounder.  Water temps we had were 37.2-37.8 F. Effective speeds were 2.2 to 2.4 MPH SOG on sonar.  All fish were stuffed with 2-3" Gobies.

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  

Bill and Browns in SS Miller.jpg

60 kb · Done

•  
  •  

r.

Bill and Browns in SS Miller.jpg

Ken and browns.jpg

Me and Browns at Ken's house.jpg

Edited by John Kelley

Way to go John!! In like a lion out like a lamb. Congrats to your outing!! are you hanging around for a while or headed back home. PAP?

14 hours ago, pap said:

Way to go John!! In like a lion out like a lamb. Congrats to your outing!! are you hanging around for a while or headed back home. PAP?

Hey Pap, I will be out here for a couple years, working on a large project near Albany.  Fishing with my friend Ed this weekend out of the Oak, for more Browns! :)

3 minutes ago, pap said:

AAHH Great maybe our paths will cross!! What part of the lake will be your main stay??,PAP

Probably Eastern end, since it will be closer.  I will go back and pull my boat out here around mid May.  I want to check out Lake George and Lake Champlain some on this go around.  I want to check out those Landlocked Atlantics, and maybe even some Striper fishing on the Hudson river, this trip. :)

1 minute ago, John Kelley said:

Probably Eastern end, since it will be closer.  I will go back and pull my boat out here around mid May.  I want to check out Lake George and Lake Champlain some on this go around.  I want to check out those Landlocked Atlantics, and maybe even some Striper fishing on the Hudson river, this trip. :)

Yes I agree on the LL I've said time & time again that the LL are the most beautiful looking fish that swims these lakes, but they are not over abundant in LakeO, I want to figure out which lake is best for a mounter size!! I'm a hard core walleye guy but must admit the eye's aren't as beautifully marked as a LL. Maybe you know which lake is best??? If your staying on the eastern end I will make sure we meet up before your back to the Dakota's PAP

10 minutes ago, John Kelley said:

Cool PAP, we will do so.  I have been hearing Champlain and George both have abundant LL's! :)

Thanks and best of luck with your job and most important fishing!! If you guys get on the LL post pics. Please!!!

Thanks for the report!  Great catch!  Heading up this weekend. Saturday is looking like a camp work day due to wind forecast, but Sunday looks promising.  Would you say you had more action off the boards or on the riggers?  I know typically the boards out produce the riggers this time of year.  Just wondering.  Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, cuz said:

Thanks for the report!  Great catch!  Heading up this weekend. Saturday is looking like a camp work day due to wind forecast, but Sunday looks promising.  Would you say you had more action off the boards or on the riggers?  I know typically the boards out produce the riggers this time of year.  Just wondering.  Thanks in advance.

Big fish came on the riggers, but boards produced many more fish.  Popped a couple on the chute rod, as well.