Landing net coating

Landing net coating

So I picked up a really nice Beckman landing net from a buddy and tried it out over the weekend. Obviously worked great my only issue is the netting is uncoated and caused me some serious headaches with trebles getting tangled and caught inside the the actual webbing. 

Has anyone coated an uncoated net before? I was thinking maybe trying plasti dip that's meant for handles of tools. Stuff in almost $10 a can and I figure I need 2-3 cans of it to cover the whole net. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried this before I throw money away and possible ruin a really nice net.

If you're interested in that type of finish it'd be easier to buy rubber replaceable netting. Just need to know the size. I use a rubber net for browns but a regular one for salmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

$75 for a gal of flex seal I might as well sell this net and buy a new one lol. I know Beckman is out of business so I was unsure if it was possible to get a replacement net. I suppose I could measure the hoop and try and find something else close in size.

Edited by FishingFool34

I would get a replacement net. I think the other option would be a mess and way too stiff. I use the stuff (Plasti-Dip) all the time on sinkers and downrigger weights and it is fine for that sort of thing.

Cummings Nets sells replacement bags that are very reasonable. I replaced one a few years ago that was normal but they did have the rubber bags. Just measure your hoop size, I'm sure it would be worth a look for you. 

Wow yeah Cummings carries just about every type/size net there is it looks like! I'll measure my hoop and hopefully it's a standard size. Pretty reasonable prices also thanks!

Edited by FishingFool34

Coated nets help to minimize slime removal and damage to fish. They do help somewhat to reduce tangling of hooks in the net but hooks will still penetrate the net cord and the barb will impede removal. However the netting is heavier. This makes it a little heavier to handle but since it is stiffer, it reduces how much hooks will tangle in the net. Still, sometimes it is easier to cut then replace the hooks.