DIY Planar Board desgn

DIY Planar Board desgn

I searched this site for "planar board", hoping to find a design for home made planar boards. No such luck, but I'm sure this subject must have been discussed in the past.

Does anyone have a set of plans for large (not inline) planar boards? I plan to use them on Cayuga Lake. Thank you in advance.

9 hours ago, poverty stricken II said:

Muskie bob pinned planer board and mast design in the tackle and techniques page. It's pinned 3rd article down. They work great

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank you Poverty Stricken II. I found the attachment and downloaded the plans.

Double boards are more efficient than single boards. Redwood does not rot and mine are 30 years old. Make them collapsible to save storage space on your boat. Use toilet flange screw bolts and wing nuts to attach the connecting plates. Save big bucks doing it yourself. 

2 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Double boards are more efficient than single boards. Redwood does not rot and mine are 30 years old. Make them collapsible to save storage space on your boat. Use toilet flange screw bolts and wing nuts to attach the connecting plates. Save big bucks doing it yourself. 

Thanks Jimski. Redwood it is.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Fishwilly said:

I used 1"x8" pvc boards similar to Amish boards and those suckers pull. Only sticks out of the water about 1 1/2".

I'm not familiar enough with planar boards to know if those are good features. Are pulling and depth good features? Thank you for helping.

Absolutely the harder they pull the more straight they will be out to the side of the boat, also your releases will be more effective as to setting the hooks, if the fish is pulling the tow line back instead of the release doing its job you will have more missed fish. Plus your releases will slide down the tow line much better. I made my own also and used cedar wood, the first 1/2hr they ride high in the water and don't pull as hard. The more water they absorb the deeper they sit in the water the more of the cutting edge is in the water making them pull even harder, less prone to flip over in rough water.