Ocean City Maryland Stripers

invasahata

This is many years ago but I stayed in Ocean City and drove to the chesepeake bay and fished with blood worms off some dunes into the bay.  It was spring break time frame  - a little too early for them to be running but May should be good.  They have a lot of restricted areas in bays now so the fish can spawn unmolested.  I would check with some tackle shops for both the bay and the ocean.  This is a google search type thing.   There are a lot of opportunities to catch fish down there.   I will tell you that I had a blast catching freshwater fish with a marine license in brackish water.  Any creek with a bridge and a large tidal barrier is perfect.  At the end of the boardwalk in Ocean city is where you see most people set up for fishing.  It is also where the boats tend to congregate.  The water can be quite turbid when the tides change and predator fish like the opportunity to ambush in these conditions.  I haven't fished there since (wife/kids) I am now there doing family stuff which doesn't include fishing.

Good luck, Stripers are a blast.  I like the Hudson River but there are many places to get them.

Joe

Here's a couple sites you'll want to keep an eye on.  Coastal Fisherman will report more consistently as the season gets going.  Tidalfish is more focused on the Chesapeake, but if you want to get a charter out of Cambridge or Taylors Island, it's only about an hour from OCMD.  Most of the action is on the boats trolling huge spreads (20-30 lines) with big parachute jigs and umbrella rigs, but occasionally guys will get one or two from shore.  Check the regulations, like BS said, many of the bay tributaries are closed until June.

http://www.coastalfisherman.net/

http://www.tidalfish.com/

Another option not to overlook while in OCMD is a trip with Capt. Monty on the Morning Star.  He runs a 25 person max headboat for Tog, Sea Bass and doormat Flounder. 

Capt. Chris

• 2 weeks later...
This is many years ago but I stayed in Ocean City and drove to the chesepeake bay and fished with blood worms off some dunes into the bay.  It was spring break time frame  - a little too early for them to be running but May should be good.  They have a lot of restricted areas in bays now so the fish can spawn unmolested.  I would check with some tackle shops for both the bay and the ocean.  This is a google search type thing.   There are a lot of opportunities to catch fish down there.   I will tell you that I had a blast catching freshwater fish with a marine license in brackish water.  Any creek with a bridge and a large tidal barrier is perfect.  At the end of the boardwalk in Ocean city is where you see most people set up for fishing.  It is also where the boats tend to congregate.  The water can be quite turbid when the tides change and predator fish like the opportunity to ambush in these conditions.  I haven't fished there since (wife/kids) I am now there doing family stuff which doesn't include fishing.

Good luck, Stripers are a blast.  I like the Hudson River but there are many places to get them.
Joe

Thanks Joe for taking the time to share some info.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 4/4/2017 at 9:03 PM, Roughrider IV said:

Not Ocean city, but if your interested in Hudson River stripers, 2nd week of May in Newburgh is a can't miss time. PM me if your interested.
Saw your post and thought maybe you would be willing to share some info/advice too a fellow fisherman. Have been fighting 
Big O since late 80"s only fished Hudson twice . Out of Kingston, gentlemen I met at Fair Haven who is from the area came on my boat and showed what he does which is troll big lipped Bombers near the bottom mostly along 20' water hugging shoreline. Anyway I

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Swas in the forum . His method was to cast net live bait, supposedly it is done on a certain section of river, up river donaw your post and thought maybe you would be willing to share some info/advice to a fellow fisherman. Have been fighting Big O since late 80"s only fished Hudson twice , out of Kingston, gentlemen I met at Fair Haven 15 yours ago during spring brown trip who is from the area came on my boat and showed what he does which is troll big lipped Bombers near the bottom mostly along 20' water hugging shoreline. Anyway I saw one charter captain from our area was doing Charters up there, thats why I 't know where, considering a charter to reduce learning curve, couple of retired fisherman lucking for fun. By the way just came back from a week at Fair Haven, have a 210 Thompson rag top. Best at Fair Haven was 29'Atlantic, 9'8" brown. Read you post and live reports often . What are your thoughts?

Edited by cheeseyrider

with all the rain and crappy conditions up here and north we made a last minute decision to head south again. Weather was nice. fishing was slow but we did manage one nice rock fish. And saw a seal on the beach.

18402689_10212511281319523_684111450872910786_n.jpg