1991 Thompson 24ft

I got word from my uncle that one of his friends was thinking about selling his old fishing boat so I went and looked at it and it is a 1991 Thompson 240 fisherman hardtop. Here's the crazy part 11 original hrs the thing is in a heated barn and has had a snap on cover over the back deck since 1992. When I opened the cover it was like walking into a time machine the thing Is in showroom condition with factory plastic film on the dash and seats and everything in the cuddy. It has a 350 that was winterized when parked and has 19hrs on it. It hasn't been ran since the spring of 92. I have no idea if the motor is still good or not although from the outside it is pristine as is he rest of the boat. It's sitting on a tandem axel trailer that is as pristine as the boat. It has a 15hp Johnson kicker that looks like it would on a showroom floor.

My problem is what is the thing worth in its current condition? He isn't doing well health wise and doesn't want to mess with it so its an as it sits kind of deal so I would have to price it with that in mind. He told me to make him an offer but I don't have any idea what would be a fair value.

I guess my big question is what is the hull worth assuming I would need all new wiring a new engine and outdrive.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I want to give him as fair of an offer as possible but don't want to screw myself either.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 years ago I purchased my 1985 Thomson hardtop fully rigged with 4 power Scottys, new lowrance ff planer boards full enclosures. Mint condition (except some stress cracks in gelcoat around the riggers) $7000. I put a 15hp 4 stroke yam on it that cost $2000. Sounds like you found a gem... well done and good luck... ps Hope this info helps... 20170329_125413.jpg20170329_125927.jpg20170401_122940.jpg

Captain Justin
Monster Hunter Charters
Striped bass, Salmon, Muskie and Northern Pike Charters
Phone (518) 720-2376
[email protected]
www.monsterhuntercharters.com
"Tight lines"

Thats a tough one to put a price on. Hull is in great shape. Wiring should be as well unless mice got in and did a job on it. Motor sitting that long is a big question mark. Might want to talk to a few boat surveyors and get their opinion. Sounds like it could be a sweet deal though.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The out drive should be fine,  The gas in tank and motor issues???, wiring from mice???,  Tires dry rot??  any pics..??

OK,  I'm in for $5000.00...  and I didn't even see it...    good luck...

What I'm thinking is if I can have this boat water ready and rigged for under 12k I'm in good shape.

What do you guys think it would be worth running and ready to go having such low hrs and in this shape?

Sry no pics yet I didn't have my phone with me.

11 original hrs. & 19 hrs. ??   If the motor was winterized & pickled correctly(oil in cylinders) when stored ,it would seem that motor should be ok.  Fresh gas, oil,  filters, electrical plugs, wires, rotor, & dist. cap., maybe a carb. rebuild..    I agree $5-6000.   Jmo

11 original hrs. & 19 hrs. ??   If the motor was winterized & pickled correctly(oil in cylinders) when stored ,it would seem that motor should be ok.  Fresh gas, oil,  filters, electrical plugs, wires, rotor, & dist. cap., maybe a carb. rebuild..    I agree $5-6000.   Jmo

Sry, the main has 11 and the kicker has 19. The kicker hrs are from his note pad he kept in the boat because it doesn't have an hr meter.

Several years ago I paid $8,000 for my 1984 and then rigged it myself for fishing.

I think $5000 as suggested would be a good offer as this is an "as is" purchased. That should leave you a little cushion for repairs if needed.

They are a great boat and I would definitely give him an offer and if purchased bring it to a mechanic and have him look it over. You may get lucky and it may not need much work with it in a heated storage.

Good luck with it.

Ok, Buckmaster,  Ill double it... if your description is correct... lets see it...If this was put away correct, and you want to be fair to the man, show us some pics and we will make realistic offers, than give him the correct price...The trailer is worth 2500-3000 alone...the kicker is 2500, the boat new was ????electronics???

Id like to see this also,, if you change your mind,   let me know...

In the end, you will be fair im sure...

Edited by Reel Overtime

Ok, Buckmaster,  Ill double it... if your description is correct... lets see it...If this was put away correct, and you want to be fair to the man, show us some pics and we will make realistic offers, than give him the correct price...The trailer is worth 2500-3000 alone...the kicker is 2500, the boat new was ????electronics???
Id like to see this also,, if you change your mind,   let me know...
In the end, you will be fair im sure...

I am waiting for him to give me a time to go over and look everything over again and make my offer, I can't imagine that a 25 year old 2stroke kicker is worth 2500? I'll try and remember my camera and take some pics for you. He says it was winterized by the dealer before being put away for all these years.

25 year old 2 -stroke maybe 700.00  Don't forget the Rubber in and around engine ; carb rebuilds , diaphragms hardened as well as impellers .Also check bellows  Etc. make sure the engines turn freely ,even if put away correctly they still could rust and seize from humidity if not turned over yearly . that's a long time siting idle . Everything will add up quick , especially if you pay to get it done . Great find , but buy it right.

Hopefully it all works out, I'm sure structurally it's fine it was never kept in the water and hasn't been in the water for 30hrs it whole life. Never out in weather. I am hoping to be in it for 10k when all done and rigged. A new main motor will put me over that by a long shot so I have to offer accordingly. The boat is literally in showroom condition inside and out its the main engine and wiring I'm worried about. I plan on buying a new kicker regardless of how the one that's on it runs.

I have a 96 240 hard top I bought 3 years ago. It was considered in good to very good condition. The transom was just replaced. 8hp kicker, with electronics, rocket launchers, trim tabs etc but only a 4.3 and it was surveyed at $16,500.00 by a local Rochester surveyor.

I'm thinking a compression test on the engines would tell a lot about their condition.