marking line without line counter help

marking line without line counter help

I have 4 Daiwa 27 I want to use for Browns and eyes...trolling.  So I'm asking, how can I or do you mark line to know how far out you are....theres gotta be some tricks that could help me.  My thoughts:  one of those cheap attach on Berkely or rapala line counters..........or maybe putting bobber stopper string knots every 10 feet or so.

Your thoughts and help please...

Yup, count the line guide passes. If you got some room, walk out a measured 200 feet. Reel it back up and count the passes. Divide the passes into the 200 feet and you get a pretty accurate average feet per pass of the line guide out to 200 feet. After 200 you will be very close adding passes to get the amount of line out.
Example 200 feet divided by 15 passes equals a little more than 13 feet per guide pass.
You could pull off one pass and measure it, but as the line goes out there is a few feet difference as the spool gets smaller, and the mechanical loss when the line guide switches to the other side of the reel.
But after all you are looking for repeatability and accurate measure is not always a big thing.
Awe crap!
Just count the guide passes...LOL![emoji38]

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

how do you count or see the line going through the guides...with out it being marked or colored.  Sorry about maybe dumb question...I mean I understand the concept...8' rod, 10 passes =80'...put how do you see or know when one length starts and stops?  And I do have numerous CL reels, but for the ones that aren't..Thanks for input so far.

Your 27 reel has a level wind guide on front that goes from left to right and back so your line goes on the reel evenly each time it goes from side to side is a pass my gl special 27 reels with 15lb mono use six ft of line on a pass

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

ohhhhh, gotcha!!!  Makes total sense...sorry for my stupidity.  Thank you.  I like that idea!!  Just gotta measure out one pass back and forth on the guide and multiply it to my desired depth.  You guys are good! 

Watching your line guide past isn't an accurate method when you have to let a lot of line out. As the spool gets thinner there's a lot less line going out for each pass of the line guide.

To give you an idea, when you are almost empty of line only about 1/3 of the length goes out per revolution when compared to when the line is full.

Watching your line guide past isn't an accurate method when you have to let a lot of line out. As the spool gets thinner there's a lot less line going out for each pass of the line guide.
To give you an idea, when you are almost empty of line only about 1/3 of the length goes out per revolution when compared to when the line is full.

Measuring the exact amount of line out isn't important. What is important is duplicating it and counting level wind passes does just fine.
Killed thousands of erie walleyes doing just that for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have no idea on tricks but I just bought Berkley line counter for 12 bucks and it will go on any rod you want could pay one line out move it to next and so on...seems like if want a pretty exact number this would be the way to go. I am very very very green to trolling so just my thoughts

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

pick a spot on the rod about a foot from the reel say end of the handle or some marking grab the line at the reel pull till your hand hits that mark and count.  once you get that as a practiced motion you will be able to quickly count out the line.  it is very consistently repeatable and can be set fairly quick 

Metered fire line? Hmmm, looks possible solution. You use that landshark? I'd be using trolling for eyes. 10' huh? Thanks broadhorizons for doing that. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes it is no different than any other fireline except every 10 ft is a different color. Works great for guys with spinning reels or your situation where you don't have a linecounter

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

Counting certainly works but I wouldn't want to stare at it when I'm putting a spread out. Not when I can just glance as the colors go out. This allows you to deploy two lines as once without the rod in your hand

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador