marking line without line counter help

You are using them for browns or walleye you said.  Just back the spool with mono and then you will have 300 ft of braid.   That is more than enough.  You can also measure out a 20 ft leader of floro or mono if you want.  For example if you let out your ten colors you know you would be back 120 ft

Or...you can just count to a given number. Given the same size bait, brand reel, boat speed, I would set the outside line at say 30 seconds and the inside at 20. There is no magic setback distance other than far enough. This is how we do it on the big pond when trolling for tuna/dolphin/Wahoo our reels have neither counters nor levelwinds. Back in the 80's mating for Howard Z on the Hells-a-poppin, he would count out loud while stomping his foot every second. It was always fun to mess up his count and watch him stew!

You could also fill your spools with 30# power pro depth meter line..it changes color every 25'...but at $50 / spool you might as well buy line counter reels.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

another vote for marked braid line

i use 20lb  tuff line indicator braid $25 for a 300 yrd spool

3 colours, with each colour changing every 10 feet.

i was kinda worried about the reports of colour fading but 3 years of use and no fading on either of the two reels i have it on

When I was young my Dad would take us Lake Trout trolling in northwestern Ontario. We would use open face reels and meter our clear mono line with black or red permanent marker. I can remember taking one end of the line and pulling it across the back yard. We had a 100ft tape. I don't remember the distance of our metering marks, but the method worked great on the water. It wasn't a permanent fix, but would last the three days of fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If I didn't use metered fishing line I would lay my line out in the yard measure out 50, 100, and 150 and tie a rubber band and then clip it really tight

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:50 PM, Paul Czarnecki said:

Measuring the exact amount of line out isn't important. What is important is duplicating it and counting level wind passes does just fine.
Killed thousands of erie walleyes doing just that for decades.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Paul, I totally agree on repeatability. However, I'm just answering the poster's question. He asked how can I mark line every 10 ft.  Someone said count the line guide passes. That isn't accurate in terms of ft out.

In the old days before metered line we used to tie a tiny piece of red yarn (goes through the eyes and level wind just fine) every 20 ft or so. You can even use a tiny spot of glue to keep it there for good.

Edited by Sk8man

Bobber stop knots work too for marking line.

Like Paul said, counting passes gets it close enough...if 1 pass of one of my 27's is 10'3" then 10 passes is 102.5' or so, if the next reel is at 105', the fish wont know any better, that spoon or stick is going to be running within inches of depth compared to the others.

I bet if you pulled line from 2 identical linecounters together they have a degree of variation to the same number.