Sutton

21 minutes ago, dry net said:

did you buy them from the manufacturer? I've been thinking about ordering some.

My mom wanted to get me a Christmas present

Because back in her day they where great and to be honest I wouldn't of posted this if they wornt jerk's about trying to but there .... Product.if you're looking for a spoon that's similar and mad a he.. of a lot better Great Lakes Lure Company..

Yes Billy the new plating is too thin. I agree on the suggestion of Great Lake  spoons.... they work great and Jason stands by his quality products and that is unfortunately becoming a rare thing anymore. I run rigs of them especially the 44's and they catch fish. :yes:

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, dry net said:

In the middle is a GL 35 that has had a lot of use on the sides is Sutton 38 never used just hung out in my spare bedroom since Christmas and the GL doesn't seem to be mad out recycled beer cans heck I make them some days you need old Mill cans and other day's it's more of a PBR bite.

IMG_20170408_204135979.jpg

Edited by darkwater1

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

Yes Billy the new plating is too thin. I agree on the suggestion of Great Lake  spoons.... they work great and Jason stands by his quality products and that is unfortunately becoming a rare thing anymore. I run rigs of them especially the 44's and they catch fish. :yes:

44 is my favorite number 

I'm lost here?? Who's spoons are the discolor ones, Jason's spoons I didn't think he plated his?? Or is the ones discolor the new Sutton's!!

1 minute ago, Hillside said:

The suttons are discolored - poor plating.

Thanks, I get so pizzed off trying to call those folks I bought shyt load from that guy at the Seneca show against the wall closest to the lake, these are genuine spoons.

I purchased six of the newly plated Sutton spoons around December.  The silver plated ones turned color in the tissue paper they came in.  At least I purchased some brass 44's, the color wont change with them.  I also have a bunch of old (new) Suttons from 8-10 years ago - they are more silver than the ones made now.

Mike the old ones are OK it is the new Suttons that are mainly the problem. New plater and I don't know if they are trying to save money by thin plating or if the process tiself is messed up. The Great Lakes spoons aren't silver plated so they don't have that problem and they are better constructed to hold up.

When they get discolored,  lose plating,or if a painted spoon loses some paint etc, do you notice  if they really stop drawing hits?.. i am not a troller, but it always seems to me, that  for me personally,a new lure draws his faster than old chipped ones..  I always figured fish were idiots,and would not notice some plating or paint missing, but really am not all that sure any more... bob

I put tape on the ones that get rubs or chips, so I will do the same with the poor quality finish on the newer Suttons.  The hard part is making sure not to add too much tape to the flutter spoons (the spoons are almost as thin as the tape).

A main reason for the actual silver plating on lures is that it shows up for greater distances in the water than for example chrome with all things being equal. Some water spotting occurs when the silver spoons aren't wiped off after use  and there can be discoloration even after sitting for a long time and the old Sutton's can do this as well. Some tarnish and generally most water spots can be relatively easily removed with silver polish found in department stores (e.g. Wrights Silver Polish). You may wish to wash them off and dry them good afterward though to get rid of the scent of the silver polish. Sometimes on the older spoons at least there was a "protective" lacquer on them that did not lend itself to cleaning up very well. Some problems may even occur from cheemical sources interacting with the silver in your tackle box such as the use of some scents or possibly even incompatible metals on other lures. If the plating is too thin not much can be done other than taping them (I have a bunch of them that way and they work OK). Another temporary avenue used  to experiment is using glitter nail polish on them and then apply an acrylic hardener. I f they don't work redo them with other colors until something clicks.

Edited by Sk8man

These days plating is not a reliable option. We plated in silver, chrome, smoked chrome, etc. You send out a thousand lures and get them back in phases. And Im going back 20 years here. Some good, some not so good. Now we have blanks stamped out of junk metal coming from who knows where, cheap as cheap can be.... Buy stainless steel! You can't ruin it!

Sent from my VK410 using Lake Ontario United mobile app