Hello, all you king killing machines.

I've only fished the big O twice now and kinda got the bug.

My wife and I are going to spend 6 days there and would like some advice on a rod set up. I have 2 connon mag tens... So what would be your other 2 rods ? I fish lake erie and run dipsy rods will 30lb spectron be strong enough or should I bite the bullet and buy 2 wires combos or 1 wire and 1 copper, was leaning against the copper it will be to tuff to clear it with just my wife and I..

THX ,

Mother Moose

If you already have the dipsy rigs set-up, then go with them. Dipsys are our #1 producer in the late summer & fall for Kings. Wire is a lot easier to deal with when it comes to the fleas, but if you can keep em clean with what you already have then I'd say don't spend any extra money if you don't have to.

If you don't get up here much, spend the extra money on the wire... it's not too much. Last thing you want to do is clean fleas for your 6 days or wish you had bought the wire, etc. With the amount you'll spend on gas, boat, time, etc the $60 for wire will be insignificant.

Don't bother with the copper. It's not any fun to reel in and unless you have a planer board it will get in the way. Besides, just ask fishtails... he'll tell you... copper doesn't catch fish :lol:

Oh and make sure you buy a lot of green flies, lures and flashers. People who catch fish on red and blue just don't own enough green hehe.

What port are you going out of, people may have more particular info for you based on that.

Nick

I am typically fishing off I-Bay with just my wife or one other person. Two riggers and two wire divers are all I need all summer. I do have two Fireline diver setups which work great as well, but fleas are more of a problem with them than wire.

definately go with the wire dipsy's, they were the only thing that would fire for me this weekend, 3 riggers and 2 dipsy's riggers didnt move and dipsys went 5 times, mountain dew spinny's and chrome spinny's worked the best for me.

I'm fishing in olcott just because thats what I know . My buddy has what he calls flea flicker line. Would you guys run that off the dipsys? Its free he don't fish any more. But if there are alot of fleas I think I will put it on downrigger rods. How many ft. of wire should I buy ? Also can I run the wire with a normal tip rod ? I have been looking at A-TOM-MIC wire combos they $180-$270 just looking for a fishermam opinion.

THX

MotherMoose

for this time of the year i wouldn't recommend using flea flicker on dipsy's, they just won't get deep enough, if its free then definitly put it on your riggers.

As for wire combo's you can get a diawa 47 lc accudepth plus for around 50 bucks, and is a great reel for the money, then a 1000 ft of 30 lb wire will run about 30. Doing this might save you a few bucks and is just another option instead of buying a made up combo.

As for a rod any med to heavy rod will do, if your lacking rods diawa also makes a rod called the heartland series, from a tip from billy v this is my first year trying them out and i am impressed for 25 to 30 dollars you can't go wrong.

We fish all four pro/ams then do a trip in the fall to oswego to mexico bay area and which comes out to be around 20 outtings a year and our rod tips have yet to show any sign of wear, so in my opinion a twilli-tip is not needed unless you fishing everyday.

hope this helps,

I run 20# coated wire on my dipsey rods w/ Daiwa 47LC's $95 bucks at Bass Pro last week. I bought 1000 feet wire, Mason Nylo Strand .024 dia. $45 Bass Pro, and strung two reels w/ no backer and still have wire left over. Filled them up. One reel bought last week and bought 1000 feet Mason uncoated Multistrand .015 dia. $43 bucks Bass Pro, then found left over coated wire from last year. Bass Pro has cheaper line counter reels from Daiwa & Okuma that run $50. Difference is cheaper ones have brass gears (read soft metal) vs, bronze, one piece composite body vs. aluminum, no bearing system vs. 2 bearing system. Drag systems are different too. Get what you pay for. I use one meidum and one heavy downrigger rod that I had busted the tips off, accidentaly. I bought the twilly tips and superglued them on the tips and voila, dipsey rods. Work fine. I just haven't figured out how to catch fish on the system yet. I also bought a Heartland downrigger rod last year based on rec of Billy V and for $25-$30 @ Bass Pro you cant go wrong. Nice feel to the rod, I like it. I hate Flea Flicker line. Not because it doesn't work, it works great. I've run the #20 test on Owasco and Ontario and it does the job. What I don't like is the way it ties knots. Understand it is oval shaped, thus sheds fleas. Stick it in a pinch pad and it slips out too easy along the flat face of the line. Hard to tension the rod w/out pullout. Try to splice it w/ blood knot to a leader and it is a ****, cuts into or slips from other line. Trilene knots can break. Some on this site rec #30 Trilene Big Game, usually charters. I prefer lighter #25 and working well. Get some fleas but shed easy when slap line aginst water before hits tip. Fleas not bad this year due to cooler water vs. some past years. If your running blades and spinnys w/ flies then there's no point in running a lighter weight leader. What's the point. The test on those flies have to be 50lbs. If your running spoons naked than sure, tie in 30 feet of 15-20 lbs flouro. Fleas don't stick to whats running horizontal.

Lumberjohn,

You might want to consider re-spooling your wire reels with uncoated wire line. We run this line and 1000' of 30# fills a Daiwa SG47LCA or a Daiwa ADP47LCA completely with no backer: http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/lee.htm

My guess is that the diameter of the coated wire you're using is preventing you from achieving the depths you'd like to with your set-up. If my memory serves me correctly, the diameter of the 30# camo line is something like .012".

Hope this helps!

Oh, and I'm on the second season with a couple of Heartland Dispy rods and the original tips are just now beginning to show wear from the wire line. No need to add the twilly tips right away but the originals won't last forever either.

thx.

guys

I have 4 okuma #30 convectors... I think I'm gonna put flea flicker on 2 for the rigger, and buy some wire to fill the other 2 up ....I can always add a tip... heck I got 3 rods in the garage that have the tips broke off now mabey I put a twilly tip on them..

thx again and may all your drags get wore out this season from huge fish

Mother Moose