Will this kicker work?

Sea Lion

Will this kicker work?

Hey Guys,

This is my question.  I have a "long in the tooth" 1995 19.5' Sea Nymph.  It is a great boat.  I have a 70hp Evinrude on it as well as the main engine.  It gets me to the fishing grounds but at about 25 mph tops.  That's ok.  It runs great.  I have a 9.9 1995 Johnson 2 stroke.  It has been a great motor however with all the older stuff on the boat, I was contemplating the idea of a 8 hp 4 stroke Tohatsu.    Will it be able to troll the 1.5 to 3 mph?  Looking for experience?

Thanks,

Bob

Yea that will definatly shove your boat around!! Let me know what you want for you 9.9 motor, I have a 15hp but I'm embarrassed to say the year!! LOL that way I'll only be 22 years behind the 8ball

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  I had a 6hp on another boat and it was like a micro click to find the trolling speed.  It was either too slow or fast and difficult to find and maintain the sweet spot.  I was really asking is the range enough in this motor that the sweet spot is larger than what I had in the 6 hp.

Thanks for your response and any others.

Regards,

Bob

Yes, the newer ones have a adjustment that you can tighten the twist handle so it will stay at the rpm you chose. Plus they don't shake like a mini earthquake the newer ones are mounted better and in rubber. With a 4 stroke you can get a throttle control box you can operate from your favorite spot to be on your boat.

20 hours ago, pap said:

Yes, the newer ones have a adjustment that you can tighten the twist handle so it will stay at the rpm you chose. Plus they don't shake like a mini earthquake the newer ones are mounted better and in rubber. With a 4 stroke you can get a throttle control box you can operate from your favorite spot to be on your boat.

Agreed - look into a Troll Master.  I put a TM Pro 2 on my 9.8 Tohatsu and the micro-adjustments let you dial in the throttle to the exact speeds you want and will keep it there.  A little more investment other than just the motor but if you troll the majority if the time with the kicker, it's great to have.