New lever gun

I'm going to get either a Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70 or a Henry Golden boy in 44 mag... Had anybody had experience with these guns? I want something then I can use as a close range deer gun in the really thick stuff and want something that could stop a bear in it's tracks

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just bought the 1895 in 45/70.  Haven't hunted with it but shot it a few times.  I first shot with the iron sights out to 50 yards and it shoots well.  I went with the hornady 325 grain.  It pulls up really nice and does kick a little but not as bad as a 3 1/2 Turkey or goose load in my 12 gauge.  I put a scope on it after that and sighted in at 100 yards and it groups really well.  

I've had an 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70 for maybe 10 years now. Great gun! No issues with it at all. For most of my deer areas, it is all I  need.

I handload heavier loads for it which the Marlin can handle, not sure of the strength of the Henry actions. With the loads I made and minimal tweaking (only tried 3 powder charges), it shoots about 1.25" groups at 100 yds with a 2-7x scope.

I did a Limbsaver custom fit recoil pad for it and with the heavy loads, it kicks less than my slug gun.

If you want to get a box of shells and come out to Syracuse area we'll take it to the range.

I hunted with a 45/70 for years, in Pa. You can drive deer and I was always a driver, in this one drive everytime with out fail the deer used to go back through us drivers. In the thickest part of the drive there'res a turn so the top guys needed to stay put while the bottom guys brought the bottom side around, well if ther was a rookie in the chase the deer would go back through us, how many times I nearly go run over by the filthy critters and always the big buck I'd see but my 30-30 Winchester never made the grade. That's when I bought my 45/70, that changed things the following year when I shot my first 8 point buck. I shot others but usually ugly screwed up racks. I shot my first bear in Canada on a spring hunt/fishing trip. The 45/70 knocked that bear down like someone hit him on the head with a sledge hammer, she weighed 310lbs not bad for a spring bear. I hunted with that rifle till I bought my 35Whelen in a pump action, that piece I don't leave the house without it in the season. You will never be sorry you bought your 45/70 if your a hunter that hunts in the bush. LOL and a better bear gun I'd say you'd have to have a wild cat cartridge made, to beat the 45/70.  Good luck with your purchase. 

I've had an 1895 Guide Gun in 45/70 for maybe 10 years now. Great gun! No issues with it at all. For most of my deer areas, it is all I  need.

I handload heavier loads for it which the Marlin can handle, not sure of the strength of the Henry actions. With the loads I made and minimal tweaking (only tried 3 powder charges), it shoots about 1.25" groups at 100 yds with a 2-7x scope.

I did a Limbsaver custom fit recoil pad for it and with the heavy loads, it kicks less than my slug gun.

If you want to get a box of shells and come out to Syracuse area we'll take it to the range.

I might have to take you up on that offer!

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 hours ago, jusgrinnin said:

Didn't say it was.

Oh I know that!! I didn't mean it that way. I didn't mean to be an ass!! I apologize if that's the way you took it!! ITS all GOOD , no harm meant:handshake:  PAP

I started hunting with a lever gun when I was 16. When it came time for me to buy my own new gun I wanted another lever. It's not a 45/70 or a 35, I chose a Marlin MXLR chambered in .308, gray laminate, stainless action/barrel. The only reason I chime in is because to this day it's still the most beautiful gun I own. Marlin offers this same style in 45/70, and reliable too!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

31 minutes ago, jk1 said:

35 rem 336 long tubular magazine 1957 year.  Cost 56 muskrats in those days with a K 2 1/2  weaver scope.  When I started shooting the Hornady 200 grain ammo I doubled my accurate distance......jk

I'll second the 200gr hornady bullet, works so sweet in my pump, it groups like a bolt action.

• 8 months later...