Speed and temperature systems?

Any preferences in which system or systems are the best or cheapest deal but still get a good system? The fish hawk X4 runs around $650+ depending on were you but it. The Depth raider Drx-10 system is only $450 on ebay. Then there are the older subtroll systems. My buddy Joe that's not on this forum wants to add one to his boat but not sure what to get. If he can get a decent used system for around $250_300 he is game or may be willing to pay the $450 for a new depth raider system if it's worth the money.

Any input on this from the guys that use these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 hours ago, bobby416n said:

Any preferences in which system or systems are the best or cheapest deal but still get a good system? The fish hawk X4 runs around $650+ depending on were you but it. The Depth raider Drx-10 system is only $450 on ebay. Then there are the older subtroll systems. My buddy Joe that's not on this forum wants to add one to his boat but not sure what to get. If he can get a decent used system for around $250_300 he is game or may be willing to pay the $450 for a new depth raider system if it's worth the money.

Any input on this from the guys that use these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The Fish Hawk is more money, but well worth it. There are reviews for it on this site if you search, but many on here will chime in with the pros and cons of each unit. I will never go back to a depth raider or subtroll (although they are out of business). There is a new one out now called the Smart Troll that looks very promising too. Again, you can research it here at LOU.

Edited by MikeyP

I have a depth raider which came with my boat. I love knowing down speed and temp and believe I have caught more fish as a result. Downside is dealing with coated cable, which gets beat up and at times you have to pour water or have a wet rag on the sensor for it to work. Every few trips I have to cut off some of the wire on the downrigger that gets chewed up and reattach the connections for the rigger ball, just because the sheath is missing or pretty beat up.

If I were to buy one I would go with fish hawk since you don't need any special wire or the smart troll but it is kind of out of my price range. That is my next upgrade on my boat is to sell the depth raider and buy a fish hawk. But I need to wait till next year as I got a terrova this year. And the SO will only let me get away with one big purchase per year.

Started with a Ray Jefferies, many good years of use. When the unit finally died went to sub troll ( one with coated cable and large probe)

Cable was a nightmare, probe seals leaked. Only used it for one season. Gave it away online for cost of shipping.

4X is like the Ray jefferies, just a rear transducer. Works GREAT! Believe me it is money well spent. you will get many years of use.

Only advise is to change the cable terminator yearly or if you see any ware. Lost a probe. That was a $ 250.00 learning curve.